RNY to DS??

dslim37
on 3/18/10 12:26 pm - san antonio, TX
OMG, i'm glad I ran across this post.
RNY i***** today almost 80 lbs away from my orig wt of 350.

I have aethna insur.  going to see Dr. nilesh patel (San Antonio, TX)  to see if he will do a revision I will surly mention DS method.  Did upper GI and found a Hiatal hernia- the reason I'm waling around looking 6 months prego.

How long do it take for approval?  I have other issues such as HBP, severe sleep apnea, now the hernia, joint pains, shortness of breath, lower back pain everything except diabetes.

I am starting to see revisions for all gastric surgeries being done with the lapband.  Ever heard of such a thing?

Doreen

Kerry J.
on 3/18/10 12:59 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Doreen,

I'm a revision to DS from a 1980 gastric bypass / RNY. The DS is nothing like RNY and I seriously doubt Dr. Nilesh Patel can do a revision to DS, it's a difficult surgery; there are maybe 6 or 8 surgeons in the US who have the skills to do it safely. I've never heard him mentioned over on the DS Forum. 

Surgeons are trying to make a living and if they don't do the surgery, they're not going to recommend it. It's like going to a Ford dealer and asking the salesman about a Buick.

The joint pain is a big deal; you can't take NSAID's like Ibuprofen with any kind of RNY, you can take them with the DS. With the DS there's no blind stomach and you keep your duodenum and pyloric valve. The DS is a much better WLS than RNY both in it's stats for losing and keeping weight off long term and in terms of quality of life in how you're able to eat like a naturally thin person does. 

Kerry

missball404
on 3/20/10 2:35 am - McDonough, GA
I'm Pre-Op & getting all the info i can before i'm approved, Kaiser is slow on approvals but in a way i'm glad because i was so stuck on having RNY now after hearing about DS on this blog I just don't know, I keep hearing that u eat like a normal person after DS instead of RNY...Im confused because eating like a normal person would make u gain weight wouldn't it seems as if after having DS it would increase the chance of RE-GAINING all the weight, please explain what foods can be eating on DS v/s RNY???  

Thanks So Much!!!  
Kerry J.
on 3/20/10 3:34 am - Santa Clara, UT
Well the best web site to go to for DS information is www.dsfacts.com it's loaded with good accurate information about the DS and comparisons with RNY etc.

But in a nut shell, RNY and DS don't work the same way at all. RNY doesn't really change  your metabolism or ability to absorb calories, it just restricts the amount of food you can eat. When your pouch stretches out to the point that you can eat enough to regain, you're either on a diet or you regain. RNY also has some IMO ridiculous side effects that no one should have to put up with. The dumping and food sticking are terrible consequences and make maintaining the loss you get more difficult because you can't eat the dense proteins that would help you maintain. I lived with it for 28 years and IMO, it's a horrible surgery.

The DS on the other hand attacks the underling problem of your metabolism and ability to absorb and store too many calories. With the DS, your stomach is made smaller by removing the outer curvature (this is also where most of the ghrelin is produced) keeping in tact your pyloric valve and your duodenum. This results in a restriction of how much you can eat, but not what you can eat; because you keep your pyloric valve, there is no dumping and no stoma for food to stick in. Its also a nice feature that this arrangement allows Iron and B12 absorption, something you lose with RNY. This stomach reduction is the first part of the DS; the second part is why it's called the Duodenal Switch.

The second part or "Switch" is where your small intestine is divided into two limbs and it's connection to your stomach is "Switched" to the divided segment of your small intestine. I'll use my anatomy for the example. My total small intestine length was 730 cm and was divided at 430 cm and the 430 cm was bypassed. The 300 cm section was connected to my duodenum, the 430 cm piece that's disconnected is also the piece that's connected to my bile duct so it now serves as a biliary limb and carries only bile. The biliary limb is connected to the 300 cm piece that carries the food at the 175 cm mark, which means that I have a 125 cm common channel where food and bile are mixed and complete absorption can occur. 

The results of this small bowel reconfiguration is that now I only absorb about 20% of the fats I, eat, 50% of the protein I eat, 60% of the complex carbs I eat and 100% of the sugar or simple carbs I eat. 

When you combine the smaller stomach with the malabsorption, you get spectacular and long lasting results. This is also why DSers can and should eat more and still are able to lose and maintain without the diets. As a practical matter, one of my favorite lunches is a Wendy's double Baconator; for a normal person, this sandwich represents about 900 calories, for me, it's 336. For a normal person it has a lot of fat, for me it only has 20% of the fat listed.

DSers can eat any food they want to, but some foods give some people trouble with runny stools or gas / farts, some people get lactose intolerant too. But the only thing we really have to all watch is our sugar or simple carb intake, if we eat too much sugar or simple carbs we can regain too. Personally, I have none of the food issues, I can eat anything I want to and suffer no adverse consequences. What your results would be is any ones guess and something that you wouldn't know until you've had your DS for a year or so.

Be sure and check out DS Facts, it has a wealth of information. I'll also add you to my "friends" list so you can get into my profile of you want to and read more about my 28 years of RNY and my revision. Just accept the "friends request" and you can get in.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Kerry 

Most Active