I have gained 80 pounds-- the surgery did not fail and I am not a failure

Molly S.
on 3/3/10 8:26 am - Chicago, IL
I had Gastric Bypass surgery October 2004. I will be 45 yrs. old in March. I am an evangelizer of the good news and a credit analyst.  I have been morbidly obese all my life. I have a lifetime of mental and physical scars from obesity. Before and after surgery I tried Weigh****chers, other methods of losing weight.  Every thing! 

I have gained back 80 of almost 300 pounds lost initially. I joined Barbara Thompson's back on track program so I can get back on track.  I never reached my goal of 200 pounds. I am considering a revision but I am not getting my hopes up on that front since revisions are hard to get approved.  My program leader already checked with my insurance and they is an exclusion in my insurance that will not approve lap band over pouch.  

I weigh 382 today and  My lowest weight after surgery was 302, and then I went up to 311, next year 321, last year 338 and this year Jan 2010 372 and to date 382.

I use to exercise on average 5 to 6 times a 45 to 75 min each session and weights at health club and at home with Leslie Sasone DVD's. I was very active and one reason for my gains over time I am less committed to my workouts. So far in January I am exercising 3 to 4 times a week 30 to 45 min sessions with walking away the pounds DVDS. I am ashamed to go back to health club since I have gained 50 pounds since the last time I was there--which was February 2009.

2009 my knee gave out and did not exercise for 2 months last year and I have not been able to get back on track since.  I am a failure I just need a readjustment and not sure how to get mind back in focus with my goals.

My biggest down fall is my addiction to and love of food. Surgery can not fix this so I have to fix my head with this problem. My plan is to start attending support groups each month and doing on-line back on track program with Barbara Thompson.  If any one has any more suggestion please HELP.  Thanks in advance for all replies.
Debbie M.
on 3/3/10 10:21 am

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, but I understand how you feel.   I had an RNY in 2002, lost 175lbs, then gained it all back.  Two weeks ago I revised from an RNY to DS because I'm not going to spend the rest of my life over 300lbs and I beleive that the DS is the better WLS choice for people with high BMI's, I wish I'd done it first time around.

I admire your honesty for talking about your addictions to food.  And you're right, there's not a WLS that's going to help  unless your committed to getting those things out of your life.

My insurance didn't cover the revision, I had to self pay.  It's going to set me back, but I believe it's a good investment. 

You shouldn't be worried about what people at the gym think.  Do what you need to do to keep yourself as healthy as possible until you figure out how you're going to get rid of your excess weight.

You might want to check your medical insurance to see if it would cover weekly or biweekly sessions with a therapist to address your issues with food.  You may also want to pick up some books on understanding addictive personalities, that may shed some light. 

I wish you muct luck and success, I think it's great you've taken this first step by writing it all down and sharing it with us.
Take care,
Debbie

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Molly S.
on 3/3/10 11:28 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks for your message to me and your are about the 5th person who has recommended the DS surgery.
JRinAZ
on 3/3/10 11:34 am - Layton, UT
Miss Debbie M.!!!!  Do you know how awesome you are????  ...... just sayin ....

Joyce
Debbie M.
on 3/3/10 11:37 am
((((Big Hugs My Friend)))))

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

sosoclark
on 3/3/10 11:36 pm - Sacramento, CA
Well first off you didn’t fail your surgery, your surgery failed you and was doomed from the beginning, so lets get past all of that. I remember being so excited because of the initial weight loss that I heard about from other that I never even looked into the possibility of there being a better surgery out there. For individual like us the best surgery would have been the DS which I am jumping through the hoops right now to get a revision done. Don’t lose hope because there is something that can help, and one of the major things that impresses me about the DS is my love for food can still be nourished. The DS life style is so my different from the RNY that one can’t even begin to explain. So please do your research and don’t give up the good fight.   I found this sight and notice what type of revisions were out there and which ones had a higher rate of success. So in my little mind I said “well God wouldn’t have brought me here for no reason". Remember that you were brought to this sight for a reason. Take a look around and find out which revision is best for you. The one that has the highest rate of success is DS that I have found. Anyway I will keep you in my prayers as you begin your journey.   Sophia
pea305
on 3/6/10 7:30 am
I think Yoda said "there is no try, there is only do". You're not a failure! It's life. You've got the right mindset and ideas to get back on track. Good luck! We'll be pulling for you.
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/10 8:06 am - Bayonne, NJ
I revised from RNY to DS, and it was the best decision. With the weight you need to lose for your health, the DS would be the best choice.  Bless you for keeping off as much as you did.

I spent the 6.5 years post-RNY doing nothing but dieting, and there were times when I felt like a failure, but I know I'm not. It was a matter of researching and choosing the right tool. I feel now that I have it.
mskay
on 3/27/10 4:50 am - chicago, IL
hey honey! call uic near cook county hospital.tell them u already went through the seminar a couple of months ao. get a consultation with DR ELI he's doing my revision i have medicaid and i had the RNY in 2000 ive gain back seventy pounds after losing 160 im getting somethg simular to the fobi ring cause the lapband isnt covered on medicaid. and i have a hernia which will help in getting approved quicker and easier. he will shaved down my pouch and place the ring at the end which will give my restriction back forever.
Most Active