Conversion from a Rny to Gastric Sleeve

freddyt.
on 3/1/10 2:33 pm
I am post Rny and I was wondering has anyone every had the conversion to the sleeve or is it even possible. If so, what is the price of this type of procedure?
Zee Starrlite
on 3/1/10 11:45 pm

Hi Freddy!

Have you lost too much weight (too much malabsorbtion) with your RNY or something like that(maybe nutritional deficiencies)?

Otherwise, converting to a larger stomach (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) and reversing your malabsorbancy would not  make sense.

What is happening with your RNY?

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

freddyt.
on 3/2/10 1:37 am

Thanks Leila

I am five years post opt and I have began to gain weight back. I was just trying to find a surgery which I can restart my weight lost. I didn't realize that the sleeve was larger than the rny pouch. Thank you, if you have any more info please let me know.

Zee Starrlite
on 3/2/10 4:07 am
how about the vertical sleeve gastrectomy with duodenal switch?  look on their forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/

Good Luck with everything Freddy!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

USAF Wife
on 3/3/10 7:57 am
There's several patients on here that have revised from RNY to DS. But, the sleeve stomach isn't always or necessarily bigger than your current RNY pouch. My sleeve was measured with a 32fr, and I can barely eat 4ounces of dense protein. It takes me 40 minutes to eat 1cup of broccoli/cheese soup, if the soup has meat in it, I can only eat 1/2 that, liquids go through our sleeves because we have fully functioning stomaches, and not a pouch/stoma combo.

You may want to check out the VSG board for more information as well. But, it is true that with the sleeve we have zero malabsorption. With my band to sleeve revision, I've dropped 133  pounds in 9 months without any malabsorption.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

StacysMom
on 3/3/10 1:24 pm
 Some people can do very well with just the sleeve surgery, but those are usually folks who have revised from a lapband, not an RNY.   They never had any malabsorption to begin with and usually could not tolerate the band.  

If you are gaining your weight back after your pouch has probably stretched to the size of a sleeve WITH the malabsorption you already have, the DS would be the way to go.    Jump onto the DS board and ask some questions.   Be aware that there are only a few MD's who do the full RNY to DS conversion, and unless you go to one of them, you probably will be turned off to the DS (in favor of the ERNY) by any RNY surgeon you consult with.   This has proven to be a major problem and there are many people who have gotten the ERNY and are unhappy with it and wish they had gotten the full DS.
freddyt.
on 3/6/10 9:29 am
Thanks all for the good advice
Most Active