Haven't told anyone....

Debbie M.
on 2/28/10 2:57 am
Hi Eve,
I suspect the reason your surgeon said that is because he's not a DS surgeon.  He's incorrect saying that the DS is only for people with a tremendous amount of weight to lose and insurance companies do cover it.  WIth some insurance companies you have to jump through a few extra hoops but can get there.  I really encourage you to get the surgery you think you can live with, don't make a decision based on your surgeons limitations because it won't serve you well in the end.  Telling you from personal experience the DS is much easier to live with and more of a normal life than the RNY.  Have you spoken to a DS surgeon?  Where are you from?
Thanks,
Debbie

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Eve
on 2/28/10 7:54 am - Randolph , MA
I am from Boston Mass. I havent spoken to a DS surgeon. I will def inquire about it now!!! Thank you very much!!

I had initially Started this journey 5 years ago when I weighed 233 lbs height 5'2" BMI was 42.8. I lost alot of weight after being banded, but the the weight crept up. I had Revision Surgery 3/31/2010 to RNY  I took some time away after getting Married and having two kids but now I am On my way again!!!! 

Debbie M.
on 2/28/10 8:19 am
I'm really happy to hear that Eve, you're making a good decision.  Postpone the 9th if you have to, don't let the date stop you from doing the right thing that will hopefully last you a lifetime..  Also olease be sure to check out www.dsfacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com
Thanks,
Debbie

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Valerieb09
on 3/4/10 7:15 am - Seacoast, NH
There is now a doctor doing the DS at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA.  Dr. Sillin is his name.  I had a revision to lapband to RNY and have done very well.  I recall you had your band with Dr. Mun.
Contrary to what the poster below says the lapband and the RNY are not alike in any way shape or form. 
I have known quite a few people the last couple years that have had to get a revision even when they did very well initially losing 100+ lbs.  Most started having problems with GERD (like me) fills, mechanical issues, etc.  These people are down in your neck of the woods.  Up here in New Hampshire the few people I know that have the lapband wish they didn't and would love to get a revision.  Again one lost over 100+ lbs. and the other 60+ lbs. 
Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

Kerry J.
on 2/28/10 3:44 am - Santa Clara, UT
Eve,

Your doctor is lying to you because he can't do the DS and he doesn't want to lose you as his patient, you're worth a lot of money to him.

I had gastric bypass / RNY done in 1980, I lived with that damn pouch for 28 years and it sucks. I did manage to keep the weight off with diet and exercise, but eventually I lost control and gained it all back. I got a revision to DS in Sept. 2008 and it's like heaven compared to the RNY. I could go on and on, but just look at my ticker and you can see how much I needed to lose; my BMI was only 40.4 I wasn't super morbid obese and the DS is the best decision I've ever made about my health.

Do not listen to your doctor, do your own research, go over to the DS Forum and ask away. As far as I'm concerned, RNY sucks rocks, the DS just rocks!

Kerry 
Eve
on 2/28/10 7:56 am - Randolph , MA
Thank you!! I did do some research and when I initially saw him I said I was interested in the DS. I am going to seek another surgeon and ask about the DS. I do believe it is a better choice for me. But I must act quick, my RNY is scheduled for 3/9/2010.

I had initially Started this journey 5 years ago when I weighed 233 lbs height 5'2" BMI was 42.8. I lost alot of weight after being banded, but the the weight crept up. I had Revision Surgery 3/31/2010 to RNY  I took some time away after getting Married and having two kids but now I am On my way again!!!! 

Kerry J.
on 2/28/10 9:47 am - Santa Clara, UT
Eve,

I just added you to my "friends" list so that you can go to my profile of you want to. Just accept the friend invitation and then you can go there. I have detailed my experiences there about the 28 years of RNY and also of the revision. It was tough, so you don't want to have to do that if you don't have to. And there are a bunch of before and after picture.

I'll also give you this link to the post I made at my 1 year out surgiversary: 

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/ 

Research everything so you really know what you're getting into; cut only once. Revisions are a real pain, so get it right the first time.

Kerry

cindywebb1667
on 2/28/10 11:00 am - Romeoville, IL
You tell em Kerry! 

Band and RNY are basically the same surgery.

I'm dying to have a revision to DS, but insurance won't cover and I don't have the money.  ;-(

Grandma Cindy
326/286/140 (start/current/goal)

Kerry J.
on 3/1/10 2:22 am - Santa Clara, UT
Cindy, have you tried to get your insurance rejection overturned? I know there are a number of people over on the DS Forum who have fought their insurance and won. You should PM Diana Cox and Larra, they're both excellent on insurance and what you can do when they reject your request for WLS.
cindywebb1667
on 3/1/10 10:18 am - Romeoville, IL
How do I get their PM?  I"m kinda new at all this

Grandma Cindy
326/286/140 (start/current/goal)

Most Active