Haven't told anyone....

Eve
on 2/26/10 9:21 am - Randolph , MA
 I  am not telling my family and friends that I am having a revision done. I remember last time how everyone was all up in arms about me doing this. And when I failed they said I went through the surgery for nothing..and laughed. And said well I guess you were meant to be a big girl.

So I am telling people I am having a hernia repair... Should I be truthfull??? What if somthing happens and the last thing they remember is me lying to them? I just know and dislike the way people act when its about this type of surgery.

What are your thoughs?

I had initially Started this journey 5 years ago when I weighed 233 lbs height 5'2" BMI was 42.8. I lost alot of weight after being banded, but the the weight crept up. I had Revision Surgery 3/31/2010 to RNY  I took some time away after getting Married and having two kids but now I am On my way again!!!! 

Debbie M.
on 2/26/10 12:00 pm
May I ask what your revising from and to?
Eve
on 2/27/10 2:49 am - Randolph , MA
Yes, of course..I had lap band placed 11/2005. I had lost almost 100 lbs  and have regained and continue gaining.

So I will be revising from band to RNY.

I had initially Started this journey 5 years ago when I weighed 233 lbs height 5'2" BMI was 42.8. I lost alot of weight after being banded, but the the weight crept up. I had Revision Surgery 3/31/2010 to RNY  I took some time away after getting Married and having two kids but now I am On my way again!!!! 

cindywebb1667
on 2/28/10 10:56 am - Romeoville, IL
RNY works just like the band - restriction and small stomach pouch.  Chances are whatever didn't work with the band - won't work with RNY.

I desperately want a revision to DS.  I had the band in 2007 lost 85 gained 60 back.  Restriction is just too unpredictable. 

I'm getting the same nonsense from people who said if one WLS didn't work why try another?  I tell eveyone that wants to know.  I'm not ashamed and if they think I'm wrong its just their opinion.  I don't have to take it as advice.

I wouldn't lie.  If something does happen your family should know the truth - especially if they need to make medical decisions for you.

Failing at the band doesn't mean you are destined to be fat forever - it just means that the 'tool' you chose to 'do the job' didn't work so you are trying another tool.  The way I see it - it is more dangerous to our health to remain fat than to keep searching for what will work for us.

Good luck!

Grandma Cindy
326/286/140 (start/current/goal)

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/10 1:48 am
I have been questioning that as well. My family has been pretty supportive and has seen the struggles I've gone through, so I decided to be honest with them about my decision to have a revision done. The ones I have told so far have been understanding, for the most part at least. lol

If you do decide to tell them, have all your facts and reasons behind your decision to have a revision done handy. Best wishes to you!
Eve
on 2/27/10 2:52 am - Randolph , MA
Thank you, I think ,y fear also is that people will always look at what your eating, and it drives me nuts. They did it with the band and I know they will do it again with this...I might waiti and see how it goes then gradually tell them..Thank..

Oh and waht are you revising to?

Debbie M.
on 2/27/10 3:33 am
I just had a revision from a failed RNY to a DS - I told a few people who I felt would be supportive.  It's all about me right now,and felt it was important to tell those who have been there for me me through the long frustrating journey and who I could count on moving forward.  I don't see the advantage in telling people who aren't going to be pulling for you. 
Eve
on 2/27/10 3:42 am - Randolph , MA
Yes absolutely right. I am only telling my fiancee. Then later on my other family.  You look fabulous..How long ago did you do RNY?  did it work in the beginning? Myband work in the first 2 years, then stopped. I know i have part to do with it too, but in reality I was flled to capacity and had no restriction.

Debbie M.
on 2/27/10 8:53 am, edited 2/27/10 8:54 am
Eve - I lived with the RNY for almost 8years.  While it works for many people, it failed me.  Whether it worked for a month or 6 years at the end of the day, it didn't work.  It's a procedure I wouldn't recommend as I suspect you might be hard pressed to recommend a band.  I'm sure you've considered all options before comming to your decision.  I wish you great success and nothing but the best.
Eve
on 2/28/10 2:44 am - Randolph , MA
Well its funy you say that. I actually went in to see the surgeon and wanted the DS, he adamantly said...that insurance complanies will not cover that type of revision, and also that he thinks that RNY will work much better for me...I dont want to fail again. He also said to me that DS is for people that need to loose a tremendous amount of weight.  I really wanted the DS but he has convinced me that RNY will def work for me.

Most Active