I think I broke my tool?

mbfuhrman
on 2/28/10 4:07 am - Utica, MI
Looking for some info about getting a revision. I had RNY in 2005 I lost a lot of weight. I was 351 at my largest and 169 at my smallest. I have gained 63lbs in the last year and want to know if this would qualify me for a revision? My BMI is still very high. Thanks for all your help in advance.

marie
cindywebb1667
on 2/28/10 10:39 am - Romeoville, IL
It depends on the criteria your insurance company requires to authorize a revision.  Weight gain alone generally isn't enough to warrant a revision.  If you have a test that shows that your stoma has enlarged or your pouch has stretched they might o.k. it

I had lap band in 2007.  started at 326 - lost 85 pounds - gain 60 pounds back and have been trying to get a revision to DS, but insurance co says no - that unless band is malfunctioning or has caused something serious enough to require surgical correction, they will not cover revision surgery.  Even though my band is filled to capacity and I do not feel any restriction!

Grandma Cindy
326/286/140 (start/current/goal)

Renfairewench
on 3/1/10 2:41 am
You did not fail your WLS, your WLS failed you. What most doctors fail to tell RNYers is that by year 4 or 5 nearly all of the malabsorption that was there in the beginning is relearned by the body and thus many many RNYers (I was one of them and I had a distal RNY) begin to gain weight, often uncontrollably, often to find that despite trying to diet that the weight still continues to pour on.

I started out at a high weight of 430 pounds (73 bmi) in 1999 when I had my RNY.  My lowest and briefest weight was 202 but maintained for about 4 years around 210. Sometime during year four I started gaining weight and over the next six years and countless numbers of diets, including getting back to RNY basics (low carb, low fat, high protein) I still continued to gain weight. I put on 92 pounds before I sought out having a revision from an RNY to a Duodenal Switch.

Depending on what your insurance says you might qualify for a revision. Some insurance companies say only one WLS per lifetime. Other require six months of supervised dieting. I had Cigna when I had my RNY, but Aetna when I had my DS. I had six months of Weigh****chers stamps and stuff from work (lost six pounds in six months and I rarely cheated. Big Deal, right?). I provided that information as well a gym invoice that had 5 years of membership fees. (Yes, I paid for the gym that I rarely ever used. My bad).  If you do look to have a revision please make sure that you have a vetted surgeon who is very well versed in RNY to DS revisions. You may have to travel to another state in order to have it done. I would recommend if you do decide to go the RNY to DS route that you visit the Duodenal Switch forum for support or advice.

All the best,
Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active