Revision LapBand to RYN 3/1/2010

Eve
on 2/22/10 11:07 am - Randolph , MA
Must say I am a bit scared I had my lapband 11/2005 have been slowly gaining..my lowest weight was 150 my highest 240 I am currently at 207, I am first off dissapointend at myself for failing. I decided to haVE THE rny, WHICH I SHOULD HAVE DONE TO BEGIN WITH WHO WAS i KIDDING! I am exited, yet afraid..with all of the " could happens" that the doctor tells you. But to me its worth the risk. I recently just got engaged and I want more children, I refuse to look like this and hate hearing people tell me I have a pretty face!! UGGGhh!!! I want the rest of me to be pretty too. I would like to hear from people that have gone through this and please tell me your experience. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but do not know what to expect, I was told I will need to stay i the hospital for 3 days and be out of work fot at least 2 weeks.

I had initially Started this journey 5 years ago when I weighed 233 lbs height 5'2" BMI was 42.8. I lost alot of weight after being banded, but the the weight crept up. I had Revision Surgery 3/31/2010 to RNY  I took some time away after getting Married and having two kids but now I am On my way again!!!! 

Ms TJ P.
on 2/23/10 2:08 am - VA
You are going to be just fine, I got my band in Mar. 06 never lost any major weight, had RNY in July 08 after battling with the insurance. I'm much happier now  with my weight loss, I felt like I should have done this from the start I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and out of work for 6 weeks, 2 weeks doesn't sound like enough time after having major surgery. Best of luck to you.
missnanajean
on 2/23/10 6:29 am - Friendswood, TX

Eve, You'll be just Fine! I also had lapband 1/08 and never lost weight. I just had LapRNY 11/5/09. I was in the hospital overnite. I had a painpump I went home with but it didn't help the burning /pulling discomfort at the old port site where they took the port out. A heating pad is a great thing. The   discomfort lasted about 3 weeks.  I was quite  tied the first 2 weeks.I'm a nurse working 12 hr. shifts so took 3 weeks because I needed to adjust and be strong enough to last all day. I did not have the stomach swelling like I did with the lapband surgery. You do have to be committed and learn as you go. You never know what might cause you to (dump) sugar goes up then dramatically drops meaning get shaky and sweaty and feeling yucky. I finally am satisfied with smaller amounts of food. You have to take your vitamins and drink faithfully to prevent the defiencies from creeping up. I got lacks and at 3 mo. when I had used up  my reserve I got foggy and disconnected and my K and blood sugar got low. I now know I have to eat every three hours to keep everrything on an even keel. I am 3 1/2 mo. postop and down 50# and 4 sizes.. My weight is coming off in steps then stabilizes then drops again which I'm finding better because my body contour is shrinking at a more gradual even pace. My goal is 120#  off by next Christmas and I'm well on my way. Good Luck!

Miss  Jean   
Eve
on 2/23/10 8:59 am - Randolph , MA
Wow, this is great! I too am anurse, but of course this isn't my field of expertise. Well I just went in today to have all the fluid taken out of my band, which scares me because I know myself and that can be deadly! I just dreadfully ate a huge meal of Asian food and feel sick to my stomach..I cant wait for next week to get here!!
Thank you so much for your word of help and inspiration.

I had initially Started this journey 5 years ago when I weighed 233 lbs height 5'2" BMI was 42.8. I lost alot of weight after being banded, but the the weight crept up. I had Revision Surgery 3/31/2010 to RNY  I took some time away after getting Married and having two kids but now I am On my way again!!!! 

missnanajean
on 2/23/10 10:55 am - Friendswood, TX
Some words of advise to ready yourself for your new life. Start saying good bye to high sugar foods, big hamburgers and pastas and ice cream. Those things you either won't be able to eat because of size, high sugar content or the pasta will gum you up and make you miserable. Some things to buy to get ready are GasX strips since the gas pain can be really bad . Also Crystal Light Hydration and Energy. I think I did better than some because  I had the extra electrolytes to help me through the clear liquids of the first few days.  Make some meals for the family because you'll sleep alot the first few days.  And practice sip.sip,sipping.
  Miss  Jean   
Rosestar
on 2/23/10 1:48 pm
Hello, I am having revision from lap band to RNY on the 10th. There are a couple other women who are having the same in March. We should form a support group!

I am sitting here crying, afraid too. I know the fear. Its normal to feel fear. I am visualizing the outcome, how much better I will feel in a month. One month.

The days after the surgery when there is pain and you think you made a bad choice, just think of it as contractions. Once you have that one miserable contraction, its gone forever. Once you have that suck day, its gone and the next one and the next one. Well, you wont end up with a baby but your body.

Right now at 214, 5'2-3 I am carrying atleast a 7 year old around in my belly and thighs. Haha!

When it gets bad, think of all the things that this surgery will allow.

I personally never lost anything with the band. So many people experience this! I thought I was alone and failed the band.

Right now I can't even vomit, if I have the stomach flu, no dice, nothing comes up and my band is empty! Its been empty for months.

In the morning I have pre op testing. I am doing this mostly by myself. My soon to be ex is afraid and we don't wanna be around people chock full of fear, does nothing for us!

To help with the fear I am getting prepared. Re-painting my bedroom since I will be spending lots of time in there (in between walking the house) getting my bag ready, reading as many stories on here as possible and being grateful that I am in the home stretch.

Many blessings to you, to all of us for making this major decision!

Rose

Lap Band --> RNY 3/10/10 Barix, Ypsilanti*5'3*
emjayel56
on 2/24/10 2:58 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

To Eve & Rose,

Please don't be scared.  I was in your shoes and felt the same way.  I had Lapband for 8 years, then had another surgery and because I was still afriad of all the possilbe problems with the RNY I opted for a second surgery to replace one band for another band.  6 months later I needed another surgery and did the RNY bypass.  I have never been happier.  I had no complications, it was done laparascopically and I have lost more weight in the past 6 months since my revision than in the entire 9 years with the bands. 

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery and relax and enjoy the journey.  All the best

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

lil one to be .
on 2/24/10 3:41 am - Somewhere out there
I can relate as well, I am scheduled to have my revision FRIDAY!!! and am so nervous.  I too am extremly excited and at the same time a nervous wreck.  I can't believe it is 2 days away..OMG
I did so well with my band lost 80+ lbsm then developed barretts syndrome from reflux and was told this would take care of weight as well as Barretts.  I have ins approval in 48 hours and now my big day will be here in 2 days.  Best of luck to you and I am sure we will both do fine. K

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney.

HW 245 / SW 223 / CW 154 / GW 145

Eve
on 2/24/10 6:21 am - Randolph , MA
OH my goodness are we twins??!!!!!! I too was just told I developed Barrets, and was told the same, this will take aways this pre cancerous condition!! Well I am ready and need this done!! For my health and my kids! Thank you all for all of the inspirations and support, yes most def I would love to form a support group.

Oh by the way My surgery was oushed out until th 9th Arrrgghhh, itll be here before I know it!

skifan1
on 2/24/10 9:40 am - OH
Just wanted to jump on the bandwaggon!!  I am still waiting for my insurance approval but hope to get rid of this band and have bypass in the next month.  Haven't had my EGD yet but hoping I'm not told that I have Barretts.  Is that because of a lot of acid reflux?  Never had much of that.  Keep us posted on your journey!!  I am scared of the complication rate for revision surgery but need to have it to get rid of diabetes (newly diagnosed).
Most Active