How long was your lap band to RNY surgery? Fears and tears

Rosestar
on 2/23/10 1:54 pm
Getting scared and to counteract that I am trying to fill up with as much information as possible. Pre op testing in the morning, I should be asleep but I am sitting here crying. I got kids to grow and a life to lead and so much to do.

Want a healthier body, get rid of what is not needed.

Be strong, get stronger!

Thanks for the answers, Dr.Poplawski was straight up with me about how this surgery is 10x as dangerous as the lap band, first he said 3x, then switched it to 10x and looked concerned. He said the big thing is scar tissue. Don't laugh but I have been massaging my belly. I am also doing a mostly liquid diet to help shrink my liver. The first thing he said to my husband was that I had the biggest liver he had ever seen. Also that I bled alot, even though I am not on blood thinners nor was I on ibuprofen, etc.

I am full of vitamins! I take homeopathics, arnica montana is good for surgeries, I attribute that to minimizing the trauma of the lap band and my shoulder surgery. The funny thing is that my hub will have to give the dose to me covertly.

If the worst thing to happen is that I lose a bit of hair, then so be it. I will put some damn extensions in and get on with life.

Thats the whole thing to this surgery right? Getting on with life. A fuller, bigger healthier life.

To life!

Rose

Lap Band --> RNY 3/10/10 Barix, Ypsilanti*5'3*
missnanajean
on 2/24/10 8:16 am - Friendswood, TX
First get off those meds that cause bleeding and you might want to do liquids  until your surgery to get your liver to shrink for a safer surgery. I had band to lap RNY 3 1/2 mo. ago and did fine. I was in surgery 2 hours came out with a painpump I went home with the next day. It came out 3 days later. I did have discomfort at my waist line incision where the Dr. removed the port. It was a pulling burning pain. A heating pad really helped that. I slept in a chair for a week and was tired and home for 3 weeks since my job requires lifting and long hours. I needed the time to build up my energy. Use this time to go deep inside and ready yourself for commitment to yourself and your body and taking your vitamins fluids and watching what you eat and you'll do fine. I am finally satisfied after I eat but am learning everyday what I can and can't eat and that I need to eat every three hours whether I'm hungry or not.. I've had some insulin surges and it's scary so try to avoid that happening as much as I can. Good Luck!
  Miss  Jean   
skifan1
on 2/24/10 9:24 am - OH
Rose

I am hoping to have revision surgery with Dr Custer at Barix in Ohio.  Still waiting for insurance approval.  Was your revision approved quickly?  My insurance is Aetna PPO.  Sounds like Dr Poplawski really scared you about revisions.  He is right about the risk of complications being higher with a revision.  They have to get through all that scar tissue.  Did you have an EGD (endoscopy) done yet?  If I am approved, I know Dr Custer wants one before the surgery.  If you had one already how did it go?  Did they say there was anything wrong with your band or did they say you had a lot of scar tissue?    Hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery!! 
Rosestar
on 2/25/10 11:17 am
Hello, paperwork was submitted in December and I received approval in Jan. I am having a EGD on Wednesday and then the surgery is the Wednesday after that.

Since I have a giant liver (in the surgeons words) I am going on a liquid diet a week before the surgery, versus the 1 day before. I am going to shrink it down, so he can get in there as easily as possible. Our insides are all smooshed up in there!

My band via x-rays looks like it is positioned right. However, I am unable to vomit, like when you have the stomach flu kinda vomit. I PB no problem.

Even with nothing in my band. So it will be interesting to hear what he sees.

I have had one other scope, twilight sleep and I remember not on purpose, ofcourse, fighting the doc that was putting the tube down my throat. Hahaha! Dr.Pop and I had a laugh about that, he said something about not being able to hold me down and do the scope at the same time and I said, 'What you can't do everything?'

I am so glad I have history with my surgeon and he knows that I am compliant good humored kinda patient.

My therapist is really supportive of this. She said that since I got the lap band, I have had one illness after the other. I don't remember (have a terrible memory) but she is the one taking notes, so..

juliewilk
on 2/26/10 11:05 am - Novi, MI
My revision took about 2.5 hours.  I have been happy with the result, I hated that band!  I am down from 279 to 205 in 5 months.  I can eat a good variety of foods - just much less.  RNY rocks!
Rosestar
on 2/26/10 11:23 am
I am so glad to read this! This waiting is awful, I am so glad to hear the good stories. I hate my band. I think of it as a piece of floating space junk. It does nothing, my port hurts, I can't vomit, it never worked for me.

I want to lose slower, I keep reading that revision surgery has you losing slower. It will give my skin plenty of time to adjust.

I am not a huge fan of working out, but I DO want to do the circuit at our local YMCA, where you build muscle in all kinds of different machines/contraptions. How long after surgery were you able to work out at all?

I am going to start my liquid diet asap, shrink giant liver, shrink!

Rose

juliewilk
on 2/26/10 9:12 pm - Novi, MI
The original loss was fast.  I think I lost 50 pounds in 3 months.  The recovery was not too bad.  I was in the hospital only 1 night.  Back to work (part time) on day 7.  I am not really a hard core exerciser (I walk), but I would say 3 weeks would be the time I would have been able to comfortably work out.  Walking probably 1 week to get to 2 miles.
Christy Sanchez
on 3/1/10 10:10 pm - Acworth, GA
I am so glad you have this post out there. I was banded in Jan. 08 at 275 pounds and lost down to 218 (vomitting everyday). I went to the doctor two weeks ago because I was thought my port had flipped. I've struggled with it ever since surgery and the doctor even thought at one point she might have to adjust it. I was very honest and told them about my problems with it. They immediately removed some of the fluid ( i can finally eat after 2 years ). She asked me if i was interested in a revision. I told her yes. Well they submitted my paperwork and I've already gotten approval. I live in another state now (and couldn't get a doctor to take me here) so I'm having the revision on June 8 when my  kids are out of school. Most of the posts on here suggest that RNY is not the way to go but DS. I never even was given that option and my insurance has already been approved so that's not an option for me.

Good Luck!
Christy Sanchez

311 HW/275 Band/239 RNY/193 CW/150 GW

Rosestar
on 3/3/10 1:21 pm
Hooray! June isn't far off at all. The people of DS talk alot about their experience. You gotta go with what works, I am pro RNY (obviously) and I am glad to get it, 6 days and counting. What a quick approval, good for you!

JRinAZ
on 3/4/10 12:01 am - Layton, UT
Kudos Rosestar!
I just want to wish you the best as you count down to your big day!  I totally agree that not all can get a DS or may not even want a DS for whatever reason (DS surgeon's not available, financially unable to get er done, etc)......Thank Heaven's there are other options available and many people make them work for them!  There is soooooo much about attitude and commitment; regardless of which type we select for our journey!  I'm organizing an event for a local surgeon's program and have found quite a few Rny grads who are 6 plus years out who are still at their goal weight and loving life!!!  It's certainly not proof that their surgery is better than another but it proves that success can be had with an Rny!  I fell in line more with the majority who didn't find success with Rny so off I go to CA for a DS revision with Dr. Keshishian!  Wooooo Hooooo!

Keep in touch and give us the "skinny" on your revision experience, K?!

Joyce in AZ
on deck for an April DS
Most Active