Revision HELP

Nicole L.
on 2/22/10 6:19 am - Marietta, ga
I have had Gastic Bypass back in April 2004. I'm considering having a revision done, because I haven't lost all of the weight I would like.  I was also diagnosed with depression a few time and put on different meds like Lexapro and Effexor, which made me gain some weight and I haven't lost it.  My question is does anyone know of a Primary Care physician that is Bariatric friendly in the Metro ATL area.  I have Humana now and I don't know who to contact because this is a new insurance company for me.  Also I haven't been to a primary care doctor in couple of years, I would just always go straight to an OBGYN, Podiatrist etc.....

HELP!!!

Thanks
 Nicole
PekinSal
on 2/23/10 2:49 am - UK
No-one has answered you so I will make a couple of suggestions but you have to bear in mind that I am foreign and we have a different system in the UK!

Firstly do you know what you want a revision to? DS is the thing I know most about, so if you looked for example at DSFacts.com you could locate a surgeon in your area. Would you be able to go direct to them do you know?

If you can't go direct you could ask their office for a recommended PCP - one that they have perhaps dealt with well in the past. They should send you to someone nice at least who won't make you feel bad for wanting a revision.

The other option is to pick any PCP at random and bombard them with surgery information until they give in! There is lots of research you could provide - I've had to educate my doctor and sometimes its a pain but worth it because she knows the rest of my medical history already.

Good luck

DS revision from failed lapband

Nicole L.
on 2/23/10 4:40 am - Marietta, ga
Thanks so much for responding, I really appreciate it.  I will check out the website and look up the information. 

I know this will be a long process, but I figured I would need to start with a PCP first to start the documentation process first.

Nicole
PekinSal
on 2/23/10 5:02 am - UK

You should check with your insurers too - some seem to want six months documented dieting, some don't. There are a lot of hoops compared to what I did - choose a surgeon and hand over the cash! Don't really have a choice over here...

DS revision from failed lapband

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/23/10 11:17 am
What I have learned the hard way via experience, and all the posts here on OH, is to just pick a pcp that is open minded and willing to learn along with you, and be an advocate for yourself when it comes to labs and supplements.

You may have had to do some of this with your gastric bypass already, as I've read some scary things about suggested supplements for post op here.

I am biased, but wouldn't look at anything but the DS for revision, in particular because a mal-absorptive surgery has already failed you (meaning the sleeve and band are even less likely to help, being restrictive only) and that has probably given your metabolism one more strike against it, and the DS is the one that helps us with the problematic metabolisms.

Revisions are riskier than virgin surgeries, and there are only a handful I'd trust to revise that old bypass. Look at DSfacts.com.

Ask friends who their pcp is, and if they like them. You can also call Humana and ask them who their providers are in that area.
Nicole L.
on 2/23/10 10:57 pm - Marietta, ga
Thanks so much for your reply.  I will check out the website.  I'm just really nervous about all of this because I do hear that it's a riskier surgery for a revision.  Also I don't think that I will be approved for anything at this time because my BMI is a 31.  I do  have diabetes, but I have been off meds since the initial bypass.  I just don't want to wait for my weight to get so far out of control and then try to do something about it then.  On the date of my surgery in 2005 I was 289 lbs, and now I weigh 195.  My lowest weight was 175, so I can see it creeping back up.  Maybe I'm over reacting.

Can I add you as a friend.  I need some on here and you sound like your very knowledgeable.

Did you have a revision? From bypass to DS?

Thanks,
 Nicole
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/24/10 5:20 am
I'm a virgin DS, and my partner when I started my WLS journey had a band, which failed him, so he revised to RNY, which he has had mixed results with. Our insurance at the time only covered band or RNY, so that had some bearing on his choice. Watching his issues, and reading studies and meeting other real life WLS folks made me leery, so I dragged my feet for years, and finally decided to self pay for DS. Even though he's now my ex, we are still on good terms, and I still feel bad when we see each other, and he comments how well I've done, and he has had problems, and didn't lose nearly enough. He seems to resent it some, and if I knew then what I know now, I'd have encouraged him to get the DS as well, even if it wasn't the easiest choice financially. Ironically, his insurance now covers DS, but has a limit of one WLS per lifetime. The guy can't catch a break.

I'm happy to add you as a friend. Theres too much I don't know, but I usually know where to track down information, or find someone else who knows.
Nicole L.
on 2/24/10 5:39 am - Marietta, ga

Thanks so much for responding to my post.

Does it help that I now have a new insurance company becuase I have switched jobs since I had the bypass in 2005?  Well at the time I was considering DS, but there wasn't enough good information about it at the time.  But you know medicine changes everyday and I'm sure it's come a long way.

My concern now is that I'm finding out that revisions are very risky or have a higher complication rate.  I'm also concerned that my BMI is 31, which I know isn't high enough for WLS surgery at this point but I don't want my weight to get so far out of control.

Thanks for letting me add you as a friend, I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

Nicole
smileyjamie72
on 2/24/10 6:19 am - Palmer, AK
Nicole,

Have you went over to the light weights board?
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/
There are LOTS of people with low bmi's.  Pop on over & start posting!!!!!

Good luck!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active