Revision Scheduled for May 3rd, 2010

marvak
on 2/20/10 10:25 am - NJ
Well i know its been a while but i am now 7 years post op and I have regained a significant amount of weight.  Here is my story.  After surgery in 2004 I had a baby in 2005.  i was originally at a weight of 400  - size 34 pre-op and 225  - size 14 (lw) post-op.  I then beame a snacker during my pregnanacy and started snaking on ...you guessed it ......the dreaded CARBS.................I WAS SOOOOOOOOO DISCOURAGED at first until i found out about the possibility of a surgical revision.  I was so unmotivated and feeling very stuck.  thank God for help.  my health insurance has hanged so i am now a partial self pay patient.  i went to see my original surgeon about 1 month ago.  he then scheduled an endoscopy for me to identify the cause of weight regain if any.  the dr mentioned that the endoscopy would identify whether there was a mehanical breackdown or enlargement of the pouch or stoma its self.  After the endoscopy, the dr identified that there was infact an enlargement of the pouch (slightly) and the stoma had streched signifiantly.  This has caused me to have dumping syndrome and never feel full.  I am excited about the fact that they did find the problem.  this has brought so much hope for additional weight loss.  I was never able to feel full and was wondering if others were experiencing the same.  I began to think it was just normal until i found out that it is not normal at all.  Well I have my dare for the revisional surgery.  May 3rd, 2010.......yahoooooo.......I chose this option because i didnt want to convert my rny to a bpd - or ds switch, or the rose procedure.  the rose is similar to the stomaphyx but the rose is superior in execution and lasting effect.  i pretty much did not want any foreign objects in my stomach either.  i feel like if there was an accident and i needed emergency surgery, it would be easier to do without the rose or stommphyx inplace.  please feel free to contact with ant questions.... oh my urrent weight is a whopping 309  - and size 24......need to stop the gain ASAP..........NEED ENOURAGEMENT NOW.................
Nunyo B.
on 2/20/10 12:14 pm, edited 2/20/10 12:17 pm
Hello Marvak - I'm so sorry to hear about your needing a revision.  It really sucks when you have WLS and are so full of hope only to have it turn out differently.  I had SRVG (very similar to the VBG) back in 1997 and lost about 100lbs.  Then I started gaining weight back.  I gained a lot of weight while I was pregnant and finally realized it was time for a revision when my knee and ankle gave out while walking down the stairs while holding my 8 month old.  Luckily I was able to catch myself and didn't fall, but it scared me.  I went back to my original surgeon and when an endoscope was performed it was determined that I had staple line disruption.  Mechanical failures are horrible!  So I feel your pain.

You didn't mention in your post what you are revising to, but I am assuming it's just a revamping of your original RNY?  You did mention that you didn't want the DS.  May I ask why?  We have so many previous RNYers who have since revised to the DS and are so much happier.  I'm just curious why you've ruled it out.  You mentioned emergency surgery and I would think it would be easier to do surgery on a normal, fully functioning stomach than a pouch missing the pyloric valve and a blind stomach.  So many people decide against the DS because they have heard horrible rumors about DS life that just aren't true or they don't truly understand the procedure, so I am just wondering about your reasoning.  

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you.  But I do hope that if you haven't already you research the DS in depth before you cross it off your list.  A good place to start would be on the DS board.  We've had a rash of people asking about RNY to DS revisions there lately, and you might find it interesting.  Another good reference is www.DSfacts.com.

Take care, and again, wishing you well with your revision.  They do suck!

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/10 6:49 am
I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to the stoma, I never feel full either and can eat till the cows come home! I admit, I do eat way too much and know I should stop eating, but with not feeling full I just keep going!

I'm glad you have your revision scheduled! Best wishes to you!
randy S.
on 7/22/11 4:59 am - brooklyn, NY
Hi Shamena,
I too have seen dr g for revision of my rny to an erny. Can u tell me if u went ahead with it and what are your results.
Thanx
pearssh
on 3/1/10 10:42 am - far rockaway , NY
Hi Marvak

I am so happy you were able to fine help. Your story is very similar to mine what revision surgery are you having, and where are you having it at I am intrested in the ERNY and  having my stoma corrected. I am In NYC. Any advise you have would be helpful

Thank you

Shamena
Most Active