Band over bypass...

Carmen C.
on 2/18/10 1:51 am - Bay Area, CA
Hi all - I know this has probably already been discussed, and I have stumbled across a very new group on this (not much posting activity yet) which led me to post this -

Are there any folks out there who can share their experiences with me who have had a lapband over their gastric bypass? I had gastric bypass (RNY) in February 2005 and have gained weight back for the past 18 months.

Is a band over my bypass really my best help? Share your thoughts, stories, fears, etc. with me please. =)

Much thanks-
C
Nunyo B.
on 2/21/10 1:49 am
Your best hope would be a revision from the RNY to the DS.  You have a wonderful DS surgeon in your area, Dr. John Rabkin.  The DS will offer you, even as a revision, the most effective procedure for initial weight loss and keeping the weight off.  Please visit us over on the DS forum.  We have a lot of RNY revisions to the DS.  Why would you want to place a least effective WLS over an already failed one?  If you are going to go under the knife again, then why not do something that is going to give you the most chance for success?  Also, check out www.DSfacts.com for more information.  A lot of people discount the DS because of the fallacies and rumors they have heard instead of taking the time to do all their research.  Revisions suck, but a third or fourth revision is hell on earth!  Good luck to you!
jaxmom
on 3/26/10 2:44 pm
Hey, I had a BOB. I initially wanted a DS, but I have 2 small disabled kids and a very popular NYC surgeon (who performs the DS) told me "if you were my sister, i would tell you to get the band-over-bypass. the DS is much riskier and your kids need you around." He was concerned b/c of my previous RNY history which had me in a hospital for 3 months on a central line and TPN and a g-tube and my ongoing nutritional deficits which keep me at the hematologist on the monthly getting treatments.  So,for me, the DS was not something advised by a surgeon who performs the DS. Everyone is different................

I would be careful of what people tell you regarding revision. Anyone who tells you what YOUR best option is, when they know nothing about you, is not someone you should be taking advice from. There are a few revisions and you have lots of homework to do and surgical consults. Don't let anyone other than YOU make such a serious and personal decision. I wish I could tell you about my revision being great or not, but  I just had my surgery. The only thing I can say is the surgery was pretty painelss for me and I was driving and shopping 2 days later. The worst part was the gas and the pain level was no worse than some muscle soreness and a sunburn. I wish you luck on your journey... 
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Most Active