RNY to DS

Blue_Rattie
on 2/20/10 11:57 am
Because I have tried all kinds of diets and the weight refuses to come off =( My BMI is between a 48 and 51. It fluctuates. =(

Living 15 years with Hep C...wow. It's a great thing it wasn't passed on to wife or kids! Thankfully it's taken care of now!

Karen ~ Had surgery 4-13-10!! Lost 30lbs in 3months pre-op
Highest 350 ~ surgery weight 297.5 ~ current 195 ~ goal 175 (August 2012)

Kerry J.
on 2/20/10 12:28 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Karen; you wrote: Because I have tried all kinds of diets and the weight refuses to come off =( My BMI is between a 48 and 51. It fluctuates.

If that is the case, I don't understand why you believe RNY will be best for you to help you lose weight. A Proximal RNY has a little malabsorption, but your small intestine will overcome that for macro-nutrients within a few years and you will be absorbing about the same calories you do now. You will not be absorbing the micro-nutrients and will have to supplement at least your B12 & Iron. This lack of macro-nutrient malabsorption is why RNY's have such a large percentage of people who struggle with regain and why you see so many RNYers come here to the revision board looking for a revision. The malabsorption is also why DSers are more successful and why you don't see them here looking for a revision.

The fact that so many RNYers and Lap Banders are looking for a revision is one of the things that really made me realize that I didn't want to get another WLS that would fail me again. I've yet to see even a single DSer here looking for a revision.

And yes, I and my family were very fortunate that I didn't have more liver damage and that Barb didn't get Hep C from me. I'm a very lucky man in many ways and while I've had more than my share of challenges, I've ended up with a wonderful life and family and could not ask for more.

Kerry 

beemerbeeper
on 2/25/10 12:18 pm - AL
That makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.

If you want to avoid a revision and get the results you want get the DS.  Revisions are difficult, expensive and UNNECESSARY if you get the DS to begin with.

I'm sorry but planning for a revision just makes no sense.

Becky

Blue_Rattie
on 2/25/10 1:40 pm
I'm NOT planning. I was just curious because there seems to be a lot who DO have revisions.

RNY is BEST for MY situation =)

beemerbeeper
on 2/25/10 11:53 pm - AL
I am not challenging you but just saying that I fail to see how the RNY can be best for ANY situation unless you have appealled insurance denials and lost and can't beg borrow or steal the money for a self-pay DS.

B

Blue_Rattie
on 2/26/10 3:30 am
I just don't want to be able to eat sugar.

The whole reason for my post in the first place was more for payment of revisions. Whether or not insurance covered it or you self-paid. I don't PLAN on getting a revision, it was more a curiosity thing for me. A hypothetical situation (hence me putting myself in that place)

Thanks for your response though!

beemerbeeper
on 2/26/10 4:17 am - AL
You are aware that not everyone with a RNY dumps on sugar, right?  It is not an automatic guarantee.

There has been some discussion about insurance companies changing policies to allow for only one weight loss surgery per lifetime (whether THAT insurance company paid for the first surgery or not) so you may want to rethink the fallback position type thinking about revisions.

Wanting to not eat sugar is not a valid reason for choosing the RNY over the DS.  But perhaps being UNeducated about the surgery of your choice is a good reason why you should avoid the DS.  Since the DS does require quite a bit of knowledge and self-advocacy.

B

Blue_Rattie
on 2/26/10 6:41 am
I have other personal reasons and I HAVE researched other surgeries. Very intensely for over a year. RNY is what I choose to do.

But I appreciate your opinion! Have a wonderful day!

Most Active