RNY to DS

Blue_Rattie
on 2/20/10 7:41 am, edited 2/20/10 7:45 am
Thanks for your post!

I don't PLAN on having a revision, just read that a lot of people DO. I don't think a DS will be any more beneficial to me than the RNY =) But that's MY opinion =) I'm very sure that I can live with the change of eating habits. I've been doing it for a few weeks now (I know that's nothing comnpared to lifetime after, but still). I told myself if I couldn't do it NOW that I wouldn't be able to later. I am not a quitter. I have put my whole being, physical and mental, into succedding at this.

But I was just curious about if insurance only covered RNY or band and NOT DS (or any others) and you had a revision to something - did insurance cover it or did you appeal, get denied, self pay.

I already know that my insurance will not cover anything else, I don't have the money to self pay, and I don't have the money to travel. My husband can't take off months of work as he is the only one who DOES. I'm a stay-at-home mom. So there would be NO income if something like that were to happen.

It's just a "I'm curious" type of question =)

Thanks again to all *****plied! =)

PS - I re-read what I had written originally and in replies - it does seem that I meant I WAS planning because of the wording. I apologize!!

Karen ~ Had surgery 4-13-10!! Lost 30lbs in 3months pre-op
Highest 350 ~ surgery weight 297.5 ~ current 195 ~ goal 175 (August 2012)

jeanyjane
on 2/20/10 7:59 am - Germany
On February 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM Pacific Time, Blue_Rattie wrote:
Thanks for your post!

I don't PLAN on having a revision, just read that a lot of people DO. I don't think a DS will be any more beneficial to me than the RNY =) But that's MY opinion =) I'm very sure that I can live with the change of eating habits. I've been doing it for a few weeks now (I know that's nothing comnpared to lifetime after, but still). I told myself if I couldn't do it NOW that I wouldn't be able to later. I am not a quitter. I have put my whole being, physical and mental, into succedding at this.

But I was just curious about if insurance only covered RNY or band and NOT DS (or any others) and you had a revision to something - did insurance cover it or did you appeal, get denied, self pay.

I already know that my insurance will not cover anything else, I don't have the money to self pay, and I don't have the money to travel. My husband can't take off months of work as he is the only one who DOES. I'm a stay-at-home mom. So there would be NO income if something like that were to happen.

It's just a "I'm curious" type of question =)

Thanks again to all *****plied! =)

PS - I re-read what I had written originally and in replies - it does seem that I meant I WAS planning because of the wording. I apologize!!

"I already know that my insurance will not cover anything else, I don't have the money to self pay, and I don't have the money to travel. My husband can't take off months of work as he is the only one who DOES. I'm a stay-at-home mom. So there would be NO income if something like that were to happen."

Almost all insurence companies can be forced to pay for the DS if they pay for the RNY. It may cost some time, but it`s very worth trying. Even if it is realistic that you can change your eating habits permanently, the RNY has a high risk of mechanical failure which you can`t do anythign against. The stoma can strech, the pouch can  stretch, and then you are as hungry as before surgery - and there is pretty much nothing that can be done expet a revision to a DS. And the body will adjust to the malabsorbation with the result that you may gain weight even when eating very little. The DS isn`t foolproove neither, but the risk of mechanical failure and loss of malabsorbation is very small compared to the RNY.

Nunyo B.
on 2/20/10 12:03 pm
On February 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM Pacific Time, Blue_Rattie wrote:  I already know that my insurance will not cover anything else, I don't have the money to self pay, and I don't have the money to travel. My husband can't take off months of work as he is the only one who DOES. I'm a stay-at-home mom. So there would be NO income if something like that were to happen.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I just want you to know there are no guarantees that you won't have complications with a virgin RNY, just like there are complications with virgin DS's and revisions.  You still may be in the hospital for a long period of time and your husband may be off work.  There are NO guarantees. 

And yes, if your insurance covers RNY they can be forced to cover the DS.  Many insurance companies don't want to cover the DS because it is a more expensive surgery, not because it is riskier.  It all comes down to money.  I understand you don't have a lot of money and you are concerned about traveling, but just keep the possibility in mind.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the RNY would be more beneficial to you than the DS?  I'm always interested in why people choose the surgery they choose be it RNY, band, DS, VSG, etc.

To answer your other question, yes my insurance approved me for a revision but they approved only the RNY, not the DS.  I had to fight to get them to pay for the DS.  I went through several appeals and finally a review by an outside source and I finally won.  It took almost a year, but it was so, SO worth it, even with all the complications I had.

Have a great evening!

Blue_Rattie
on 2/20/10 12:49 pm
Well, no matter how lame it seems, I want my kids to learn about nutrition and portion sizes and not see me scarfing down hamburgers and ice cream and cake because I can

RNY is a way for ME to be healthy and a way to teach my KIDS to be healthy. They are 2 ½ and almost 4. I believe if they see me eating healthy, THEY will too. They will also see me exercising and want to also! I never had a role model like that growing up. My dad was overweight ever since I can remember, my older sister was and is MO, too.

Stupid reason, right? But even though I'm doing this for ME, I'm doing it for THEM, too.

And I know there can be complications to ANY surgery. I watched my father at the age of 40 go through like 5 surgeries from October '93 to January '94 when he died. And he had complications with 4 of them.

And I HONESTLY appreciate what you are saying!!

Nunyo B.
on 2/21/10 1:45 am
I don't think wanting to teach your children about good nutrition and healthy eating is lame at all.  That's what I'm trying to teach my 6 year old.  But I'm afraid you have a huge misconception about  DS eating.  We have major portion control because a huge portion of our stomach is REMOVED.  There is no way we can scarf anything down, nor can we have huge portions because our stomach physically can't handle it.  If I eat too fast or overeat, major pain and vomiting.  Trust me, you'd only do it once!  We don't have a pouch, but we still have a smaller, fully functioning stomach.  If you are one of the ones who dump, what will you be teaching your kids when they see the hell you go through if you eat something that causes you to dump?  Pretty scary.  There's a youtube video out there that an RNYer made of her dumping episodes.  Really scary stuff, that. 

At 2 years out I can still only eat 1 1/2 pieces of pizza over a 20 - 30 minute period of time, and its usually only the toppings off the second piece.  When we go out to eat I usually eat a 6 oz steak, a few bites of salad and that's it.  Yes it is true DSers can eat hamburgers (sans bun in my case) but it's usually a regular cheeseburger, not a big honking HUGE burger from Hardees or one of those big gourmet burgers at a restaurant, and maybe 4 or 5 fries (the skinny kind from McD's.)  Yes we can eat ice cream and cake, but it's of a more normal portion, not a half gallon of ice cream at a time and not a quarter of the cake.  It's a phenomenon among DSers that our taste buds seem to change and just a bite or two of something sweet is all it takes and then it starts getting too sweet and cloying, but we don't dump.  I think it is more beneficial to my son seeing my smaller, "normal" portions.  It is unrealistic to think that he will go his whole life never eating hamburgers, never eating ice cream and never eating cake.  I would rather him learn these are ok choices in moderation. It's ok to have small portions and be satisfied than feeling guilty over ever having them at all, obsessing over them and eventually possibly leading to a pattern of binge eating and purging.  I want my child to know there are no "bad" foods, just bad choices.  If you come to the DS board you will see that many, many of us have small children (and even teenage children) and our children are some of the healthiest out there. 

Now, I will admit my child has a lot to learn because his grandmother lives with us and she seems to undo during the day what I try to teach him, so it is a struggle.  But he does see how I eat and he's paying attention.  He is focusing more on protein and veggies during meals, and I'm trying to steer him towards more healthy alternatives for snacking.  Of course it is hard when he sees grandma having a sugary dessert and being 6 he wants it, too.  But I am teaching portion control, which is very important.

All of your reasons for WLS are valid ones.  I think it's great that you are wanting to do something positive for your health and your family.  My only reason for "pushing" the DS (if that is what it seems like I'm doing;  I'm really trying not to) is that I want you to be well informed before you make any permanent decisions, especially with your BMI.  The DS is the most effective WLS today in terms of losing weight and keeping it off.  (My BMI was 51.)  We have the most normal eating lifestyle, and if you are wanting to teach your children healthy eating, you will definitely be able to do so even if you have had the DS.  Maybe even moreso.  Please "lurk" over on the DS board, read www.DSfacts.com for more info, and then make your decision.  It's easy to just discount something on the first look, but I beg you to do all your research before you make your final decision.  You may be surprised at what you find.  Regardless, tho', I wish you all the best with whatever you decide.  And no matter what, I hope and pray you are never faced with a revision!
Blue_Rattie
on 2/22/10 12:41 am
Thanks for your post Lyndia =)

I did know about the stomach removal. I should have used different wording about scarfing stuff down =P

I have done a lot of research, but still lean towards the RNY. I tend to overeat sweets (yummy dark chocolate, and truffles, and starburst and....you get the picture, lol) so I feel that the possible dumping will be my savior in that aspect.

Thank you again for posting!! and I have lurked on the DS boards a little =)
Karen

Nunyo B.
on 2/22/10 2:31 am
You're welcome.  Take care and all the best to you.  Keep in touch !
Kerry J.
on 2/20/10 7:58 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Karen,

I had gastric bypass / RNY done in 1980 and I lived with the pouch for 28 years, so I have a pretty good idea what it's all about. With RNY you probably will lose most of your excess weight; I did and I felt great; I thought it was wonderful. But after about 18 months, my pouch had stretched enough that I could eat enough to start to regain. I had dumping if I ate anything sweet / sugary or if it had milk in it. I also had real problems with dense protein foods like steak or roast beef, raw veggies or rice; they would stick in my stoma and I would have to puke them up. It was pretty miserable, but at the time, I figured it's just the price I have to pay to be a normal weight and it's worth it. But then the weight started to come back, so I started a serious diet and exercise program; the exercise was no problem, but the diet was difficult because the only foods I could eat without having trouble were soft carby foods like pizza & pasta, well cooked veggies etc. It wasn't impossible, just difficult; even so, I managed to keep my weight under control for 15 years, it was hard, but I did it. 

Then I got sick; I discovered I had hepatitis C and the only treatment was an interferon shot every other day. Interferon is a powerful chemo therapy and it makes you feel like you're coming down with a real bad flu; your body aches, your head hurts, you just plain feel like crap. So for a year, every other day, I felt like I had a real bad flu. I just couldn't exercise and I started eating more as a sort of comfort and during that year of misery, I completely lost control of my weight. 

After the year of Hep C treatment, I was cured of Hep C, but I had gained 30-40 pounds and I tried to get back on the diet and exercise bandwagon, but it just didn't work like it had before and I gradually yo yo dieted my way back to 285 which was where I started back in 1980 when I had the original surgery. The more I tried, the more I failed and I grew to really hate what had been done to me, not only was I as fat as I had ever been, but now I had hypertension, sleep apnea and gout, not only that, but I couldn't drink a glass of milk without dumping, I could never celebrate a grand child's birthday by having a piece of cake & ice cream. I couldn't enjoy a nice steak, or roast beef, I was completely miserable. I was fat, I was miserable, I felt deprived and I was headed for an early grave; I was a mess.   

In the summer of 2007 some things happened that really got through to me and made me realize it was time to get serious and do something to get my life and health back, so I started looking into what my options were. I sent to see the most well respected bariatric surgeon in my town and after doing a barium swallow and an upper GI endoscopy, he told me that I had a staple line disruption and that I should get a revision to a "modern" RNY. When I asked him if that would resolve the dumping and food sticking, he said "I doubt it"; it would just reduce your pouch size and get you started losing weight again. But I couldn't take NSAID's so I would have to treat my gout some other way etc. I decided I had had all the RNY I could stand and that I would look for another option; something that would give me the ability to eat like normal people. but still help me lose weight.

I looked and looked and didn't find anything that seemed any better than the RNY; I was getting really discouraged and then I discovered the OH site and started lurking, reading and asking questions. Someone, suggested I check out the DS Forum so I did. I had never heard of the DS, but as I started reading and learning about it, I became more and more excited; could this be it? Could I really eat like normal people and still lose weight? It seemed too good to be true; but it was true and the more I read and studied, the more I knew it was what I had been looking for.

When I started looking for a surgeon who could revise me, I ran into another problem; I was such a mess inside that the DS surgeons I spoke to thought a revision to DS would be too dangerous; until I found Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco. When I spoke to him, I knew he was my man and I scheduled the next available slot to get the revision. That slot was Sept. 17, 2008; my new life birthday.

The surgery was onerous; I had so much scar tissue and so many adhesion's that it took 8 1/2 hours, I was a real mess inside and in all the mess, Dr. Rabkin missed a scar tissue flap inside my stomach and because of that, I had to have another surgery three days later; this one took 4 1/2 hours; but that did it and I was fixed. The recovery was long and difficult; it was about 6 weeks before I started feeling human again, but after that, things just got better and better. Nowadays, I'm almost 58, but I feel like I'm 30 again, I'm doing things I never thought I would do again, it's like I've been given another chance to live the life I've always dreamed of living. Here's a link to the post I made at 1 year out:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/

I thank God every day for Dr. Rabkin. for him helping me find the OH site, for discovering the DS and for giving me the courage to go ahead and do it. 

IMO, there is no other WLS but the DS, the others are poor excuses for a WLS and a borderline butchery done for $$$$. There is no way I would ever let anyone cut up my stomach again and turn in into a pouch, no way in hell would I allow that.

The only way I could ever recommend RNY to anyone is if they really love being on a diet because that is where you will end up to maintain your weight.

What ever you choose to do, I wish you well, but if you choose RNY, make sure you're prepared to diet for the rest of your life, because that is where you're going to end up.

Kerry  

Blue_Rattie
on 2/20/10 8:45 am
Thank you Kerry for your response!!

As of right now, I'm not concerned about stretching my pouch. My problem is actually UNDER eating, PCOS and hypothyroidism. =)

I'm sorry for all the problems you were caused! My husband has gout (at 36) and I know he's miserable with his attacks. It seems the medicine he's on doesn't totally control it =(

Do you know how you got infected with Hep C, if you don't mind me asking?

Kerry J.
on 2/20/10 8:58 am - Santa Clara, UT
I can't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure, I know how I got the Hep C. About 6 months after the bypass surgery, some of the staples in my pouch / stomach pulled out or tore my stomach and I almost bled to death. I had to have an emergency blood transfusion and the blood must have been contaminated with the virus. Remember; this was back in 1980-81 and that was before medical science knew about Hep C or AIDS, so the blood supply was not tested for either. That's the only explanation we could come up with as to how I could have contracted the Hep C virus. It's a difficult virus to get; I had it for 15 years or so and never knew it and didn't pass it on to Barb (my wife) or any of our children; we have 4.

Gouty attacks are extremely painful; I would never get RNY now, just for that reason alone; I can't even imagine how I would deal with it if I couldn't take Ibuprofen.

If you don't have any problem eating right; why are you looking to get RNY?

Kerry

Most Active