RNY to DS

Blue_Rattie
on 2/18/10 3:06 pm
I'm having RNY done in a couple months, it was my first choice and I am completely happy with my decision. Just wanted to get that out there first!

This is for those who went from band or bypass to DS.

For those of you who had RNY or lap band approved by insurance that didn't cover DS, did you appeal and have them cover your revision or did you self pay?

I honestly don't know how well I will do with the RNY, though I have HIGH hopes of becoming more NORMAL!

But lots of people bring up DS so I figure I'd ask about future possible revisions.

Thanks!!
Karen ~ Had surgery 4-13-10!! Lost 30lbs in 3months pre-op
Highest 350 ~ surgery weight 297.5 ~ current 195 ~ goal 175 (August 2012)

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/10 7:55 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Revision from RNY to DS is difficult, and there are only 4 or 5 surgeons in the US I'd recommend for it. I did a lot of research. If you are investigating and decide you want the ds, hold off on the RNY.  It's horrible to have to go through so much surgery.

You might want to look into an appeal, or consult with obesitylaw.com to see if they can help with this.
Blue_Rattie
on 2/18/10 8:33 pm, edited 2/18/10 8:33 pm
The thing is that if that were the case and I actual could appeal, I'd have to go out of state for a doctor. There are only TWO Centers of Excellence here in OR and neither one does DS.

daizygurl27
on 2/19/10 4:10 am - Shinnston, WV
I had spoke to my doctor about going for the DS she told me that it was a very extreme surgery and that she did recommend the procedure for me.  She told me only a handful of doctors will even touch it.  I have the Band and i hate it.  I am waiting on insurance approval for the RNY.  And I feel this is the best decision for me.  She told me revisions normally take up to 2 weeks for approval or denial (which i hope i dont get)
Nunyo B.
on 2/20/10 7:05 am
On February 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM Pacific Time, daizygurl27 wrote:
I had spoke to my doctor about going for the DS she told me that it was a very extreme surgery and that she did recommend the procedure for me.  She told me only a handful of doctors will even touch it.  I have the Band and i hate it.  I am waiting on insurance approval for the RNY.  And I feel this is the best decision for me.  She told me revisions normally take up to 2 weeks for approval or denial (which i hope i dont get)
daizygurl, of course your surgeon is going to tell you that.  She doesn't perform the DS and she's certainly not going to lose a "sale" by recommending you go elsewhere.  We have many people over on the DS board who were lightweights, revisions from the band, etc.  If you are interested in the DS, please check out www.DSfacts.com.  Then find a real DS surgeon and consult with them.  DON'T have a surgery based on what one doctor has told you, especially a doc who has a vested interest in a surgery other than the DS.  There are definitely more than a "handful" of doctors who would perform a revision from the band to the DS.  As a matter of fact, a revision from the band is one of the "easier" revisions to perform.  The risk factors of being revised from the band to the DS is not greater than to an RNY.

Good luck!

smileyjamie72
on 2/19/10 8:54 am, edited 2/19/10 8:54 am - Palmer, AK

I honestly would not worry about traveling.... I live in Alaska.  I have no problems traveling.

In 2002, I went to Washington from Alaska, and had an RNY (unfortunately, at the time, I was not aware of the DS)-- I was there almost 3 weeks.
In 2003, I again traveled from Alaska to have an abdiminoplasty, gallbladder removal, and hernia repair.--I was there almost a month.

Now, here I am almost 8 years later.... working on getting a revision from RNY to DS approved, and I will travel again, from Alaska.
http://www.dsfacts.com/
http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Only you can make the decision that is BEST for YOU!!!
I cannot stress enough..... RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!!!!

**Just sayin**
Good Luck in YOUR journey!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Blue_Rattie
on 2/20/10 3:03 am
I wouldn't have a problem with traveling - it's the financial part of it I can't do! Plus the liklihood of insurance not covering it =)

Plus, I have two small kids. I can't stay away for a length of time.

Thank you for info!! =)

Nicole L.
on 2/22/10 6:33 am - Marietta, ga
Can you tell me why you want to get the RNY to DS?  What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Nicole
jeanyjane
on 2/19/10 7:28 am, edited 2/19/10 7:29 am - Germany
@ daisygurl27:

In the best case, your doctor is uninformed and doesn`t bother to learn about surgeries she doesn`t do. In the worst case, your doctor lied to you because she is not qualified to do a DS and wanted to sell you what she does. The DS is the most powerful weight loss surgery around, taht`s true, but even the DS is NOT powerful enough to guarantee everyone 100% weight loss. The stats show an average loss of around 70-80%, but more important, a very low overall failure rate. Is this "too drastic"?? No, that`s what everyone expects when going into WLS, just that band and RNY badly fail bringing these results. The failure rate of the RNY is around 30% for those who start with a BMI under 50 and 35-50 % for those who start with a BMI over 50, did your doctor tell you this? Did she tell you that revisions do even WORSE??? Did she tell you that there is hardly anything that can be done if the stoma or pouch (or both) strech?

Do your own research, do your homeowrk before surgery! If you want a surgery that is less drastic, go with the sleeve. Arccording to the data availible, the sleeve gives you the same results like the RNY, but with much less complications, and the sleeve can much easier converted to a full DS if needed then the RNY.
Nunyo B.
on 2/20/10 7:00 am
Hi Karen,

I know in your post you said, " I'm having RNY.... it was my first choice and I am completely happy with my decision."  Well, if that were the case, it seems to me like you wouldn't be concerned about a revision later on.  Since you are questioning the insurance approval for revision, it sounds like you are NOT convinced the RNY is for you and deep down you believe you won't be successful.  If that is the case, then DO NOT go through with your surgery.  I was a revision patient and let me tell you, THEY SUCK!!  You will run the risk of having a lot of scar tissue (which I had) and will be at a great risk for complications (which I had.)  I, too, had a small child, and let me tell you, being in the hospital for 7 weeks and then coming home with a PICC line and a feeding tube and basically being unable to do anything for another 4 months was horrible.  I urge everyone to make sure of the procedure they want BEFORE they go under the knife.  Don't rely on a revision in the future in case it doesn't work.

The DS is the most effective WLS out there.  It will offer you the highest percentage of weight loss, the highest percentage of keeping the weight off, you will enjoy a wider variety of food and will be happier.  We have a lot of people who are revisions from the band and RNY to the DS over on the DS forum.  Ask them their experiences before you decide.

Also, a lot of people must travel for surgery be it across town, across state, across country, even OUT of country.  The DS is worth it!  If you are settling for the RNY because of having to travel for the DS, then please don't have surgery.  You will regret it.

Good luck to you.

Most Active