I am so upset, I could just cry :-(

jmeg66
on 2/20/10 11:47 pm - Brick, NJ
Diane  Did he say what the mistake was?  I too had a lap vsg 2.5 yrs ago and didn't lose a lot of weight.  The VSG doesn't work for everyone.  I wouldn't do a revision to a gastric bypass though.  I would go see a ds surgeon who specializes in revisions.  It's possible that the original surgeon left your stomach too large, I know mine did.  He was the one though that sent me to Dr. Greenbaum.  Good Luck in your journey.

Joanne

mommyranaway
on 2/21/10 12:12 pm - CA
Unfortunately, he told me the original surgeon for some unknown reason blew a staple line throgh the upper portion of my stomach sideways, so there is a small opening at the top and a bubble formation at the upper region of my stomach.  The best part is that she stapled it in such a way that my stomach is quite twisted and that no longer makes me a candidate for DS surgery

Diane

Nicolle
on 2/21/10 11:11 pm
Please get another opinion, particularly Dr. Rabkin or Dr. K, both in California. At worst it will just confirm what you heard from Dr. C. At best, you may have other options.

I have heard tales from Dr. Rabkin patients who had been told they were "lost causes" and he was able to do something to help them.

I am sorry you are in this situation. I wish you lots of luck.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

KRWaters
on 2/21/10 11:05 pm - Manteca, CA
You owe it to yourself to check out every option available. Go see Dr. Rabkin and then, also, go see Dr. Ara Keshishian in Delano, CA. He is truly an expert in revising from whatever to the DS. Do NOT take one doc's word for it. Good luck.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

mommyranaway
on 2/21/10 11:10 pm - CA
I will complete the Dr Rabkin evaluation and such per so many suggestions, he comes highly recommended! Your surgeon, in Delano, did he have a mess of a stomach to deal with in you as well for the DS?  I will have to look him up, I really appreciate you guys all helping me here:)

Diane

Nicolle
on 2/21/10 11:06 pm
Hmmm...Someone on the main board today is asking about your original surgeon, Dr. Pompa. Maybe she would like to hear about your story.

Topic: Dr. Liza Pompa

Nicolle

Redhaired
on 2/21/10 11:24 pm - Mouseville, FL
Isn't that the practice that runs the monthly specials -- with the sombrero wearing cartoon character.

Nicolle
on 2/22/10 12:14 am
OMG--you're right, Red!!!

She IS the one who had that tasteless ad here on OH! I think you got a free soft taco and sombrero with your bariatric surgery. Classy!

Nicolle

mommyranaway
on 2/22/10 12:53 am - CA
the office is LIMARP  they are at the bottom of every page offering a valentines special etc!

Diane

Ms. Cal Culator
on 2/22/10 12:09 am - Tuvalu

We took my husband (his spine is a mess) to a very highly recommended neurosurgeon, in a very upscale neighborhood, who practices at a very highly rated hospital...he recommended surgery, ASAP.

Imagine our surprise, then, when the NEXT THREE SURGEONS--two orthopedic surgeons and another neurosurgeon--said that surgery now was just a REALLY BAD IDEA.

They are all respected in their fields.  I know happy patients from several of them.  Three of the surgeons were in our insurance and each cost us $35 co-pay.  The other (the neurosurgeon who said NOT to do the surgery) was out of network and the consult cost $250.

After the first doctor, we thought, "Well..he's great and he must be right."
After the second, we thought, "Well, imagine that."
After the third, we thought, "Could the first guy have been wrong?"
After the fourth guy, we said, "WOW!  We were smart to get second, third and fourth opinions!"

Be smart.

Most Active