I'm so mad, I could spit fire!!!!!!!!!!!!

aqtnsc
on 2/17/10 8:43 am
I had my pulmonary and cardiology appts for clearance for my revision (or so I thought). The pulmonary doc had me do a full pulmonary function test at the hospital. A few days later, his office informs my PCP that since I am having surgery in New Jersey, he feels that it best that I get my clearance up there. The cardiologist had echocardiogram done at the hospital and afterwards informs me that that is all the testing that could be done through his office (I am too big to do a stress test) in his office and at the hospital. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I wasnt a fat arse from day one when I went to both of their offices- uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggh! So, I sent what little they did to Dr. Greenbaum's office and he wants me to have comprehensive testing done for clearance. This time, instead of having my PCP send referrals, I had Tina fax over the scripts to a medical university an hr and a half away from me. Not a problem; I'll do whatever it takes to get my DS. Thank God, I am scheduled to see the pulmonary doc and cardiologist up there next week to get my comprehensive clearances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not say enough about Tina and June at Dr. Greenbaums's office. They have been so helpful. Hopefully I can still get a date in March. If not, April will suffice!

So, the lesson in all of this for pre-ops is: Be sure that the doctors that you see for clearances for surgery is able to do all testing necessary; not just a fewof the required tests!!!!!! If you don't you'll end up having to go to doctors that can do comprehensive clearances!
jmeg66
on 2/18/10 7:49 am - Brick, NJ

The cardiologist should have known you would be too heavy for his treadmill.  He could have done a persentine stress test where you don't do the treadmill.  They inject this stuff in through the iv and simulates the heart acceleration as the treadmill would.  Good luck with the rest of your clearances.

Joanne

aqtnsc
on 2/18/10 1:26 pm
Joanne
Thank you! I had that particular stress test done when I had my gastric bypass in 2007 at the same medical university that I will be going to next week. I didnt know that it was done because of weight- I thought that it was due to my lymphedema. Anyways, I know for a fact that I will have all the testing needed for clearance at the medical university. I think that it sad that the medical facilities in small towns do not have the equipment to accomodate larger patients. Best of luck to you on your journey!
(deactivated member)
on 2/18/10 8:00 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Sounds like they were not living up to it. I'm glad Tina sent over what you needed, and you can go to the university hospital. I swear, most places act like everything is difficult to send on, but it's all about malpractice. No one wants to get involved in anyone else's case. I can't imagine you were too big for the hospital. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Most Active