Have you had an eroded band removed?

B5_
on 2/17/10 9:24 pm, edited 2/18/10 9:50 pm - Royal Oak, MI
Good afternoon! I have a slipped and eroded band which will be removed shortly. The erosion looks to be pretty severe - showing in 2 places from inside the stomach. To those who have had an eroded band removed, was it done lap or open???
I should add that I am revising to VSG and Dr. Elhorr, who I have down here as my surgeon, is NOT the one who put the band in. He is however, the one who is going to fix me! 

Thanks!!
nikki_mcdaniel
on 2/19/10 4:10 am - gainesville, GA
hello! I don't have my band removed yet... but will be soon! I have to have an EGD to see exactly what is going on (i have hardly any restriction if none) i also have this pain, not sharp but feels like muscle twinges right where my band should be every now and then and its a dull pain when i lay on my left side. My port is also trying to come back through the SKIN! it has turned an awful red and is definatly a killer at night and during the day. I am not going back to my original surgeon as we have a bariatric surgeon now where I work and he is more than willing to help me out and just seems so caring and passionate about the bariatrics. My question is, have you had it removed? and if so how was it? and does any of the symptoms i just mention match the ones you have had? I think it's just a shame....iv'e had the band for almost 4 yrs and all i have to show for it is a 20lb weight loss :(
B5_
on 2/19/10 4:50 am, edited 2/19/10 4:50 am - Royal Oak, MI
Urgh - that stinks! I really feel for you!!! So glad you found a doctor you are comfortable with and who you feel will give you the care you deserve. That is sooo important. I don't give a rats patooty what a doctors credentials are - they have to feel right to you as well. My previous doc is "one of the best" in the country and he still butchered me then wouldnt listen when I said I had problems.
I dont have the problem with my port trying to escape (omg!!!!!),  but it sure can hurt at times. All other symptoms you mentined I have - and more. I can not take deep breaths, certain movememts cause me major pain, I throw up at the drop of a hat, I always feel like someone just punched me right between the ribs and I am at least a 4 on the pain scale every day. Sometimes it is cripiling it is so bad. my old doctor told me all this pain was impossible. Ya, right. A**.  Now, keep in mind that I have a slip as well
as the erosion so that adds problem on top of problem. I just found out (also though the EGD) that I have a hiatal herniA and gastritis which, I can only assumE, were caused by the erosion but I don't really know. I have a consult with my new (and very much improved), surgeon on 2/25 so I should have much more information then. He did say he could fix me though and I have every confidence that he can.

I had my band done Jan of '01, had a slip/prolapse in Feb '02 and been in pain the last 5 years. I have gained all but 7# back and now have high BP & cholesterol and my apnea is way worse.
Gawd, I shound like a train wreck! No worries - I'm still loving life and looking forward to having the stinking band removed and getting the sleeve!!!

Lets stay in touch and compare notes about having our bands removed!!

nikki_mcdaniel
on 2/19/10 5:38 am - gainesville, GA
i lost close to 100 lb and have gained all but 20 lbs back which so sucks... i remember when i was 190 and would complain still about needing to loose some more and now i look back at those pics and wish i would be there again!!! we should definatly keep in touch my email is [email protected] my band should be out in two weeks hopefully!!!
B5_
on 2/21/10 10:15 pm - Royal Oak, MI
I hear ya! I lost 70 and gained all but 7 back! We will both lose it all and keep it off for good soon though, right?!?!? I'll pm you my addy....

sreed1966
on 2/24/10 8:43 am - Livonia, MI
Hey B5, I wanted to wish you good luck. I had many band problems and actually saw Dr. Elhorr for some of them. I had my band taken out and converted to the VSG. I will tell you please trust the doctor you are going to. Dr. Elhorr worked under Dr. G for a bit, but I don't think Dr. G is there anymore..
I'm starting to like my sleeve more and more....

Lapband 2003 - Lost 85 lbs...
Revision to VSG 12/09

B5_
on 2/24/10 9:46 pm - Royal Oak, MI
Hi! Know what's funny - I was planning on going through Pleatman but as he does not work through a center for excellence my insurance would not cover any part of the surgery. Stupid, right? Pleatmans receptionist is the one who told me about the vsg actually - great people over there and I loved Pleatman. My PCP recommended Elhorr after it was found that I couldnt go to Mark and I felt he was a perfect match for me as soon as we met face to face.  He said everything that was already in my mind. His staff at the Troy office snt the most knowledgeable and to be honest, didnt give me high hopes for my meeting with him but I really liked him and Harper is a really good hospital. When he said he could fix me after my scope, I believed him.

I have another consult with him in 2-1/2 hours and am a wreck. My PCP has cleared me for surgery & insurance is in place but until I talk to him and set a date I will still be scared that something will happen to derail my plans.
I'm a mess! I spent all nigh****ching these programs on TLC about super obese people (thankfully I'm not, but still!), fell asleep listening to a story on the news about obesity and on my way into work this morning heard Bad by MJ which of course made me think of the Weird Al version - FAT! AHHHHH!!!! I'm quickly losing my mind!

sreed1966
on 2/24/10 11:56 pm - Livonia, MI
Don't lose your mind! (This coming from someone who loses her's on an almost daily basis)....I hope your appointment goes well. I was just in Royal Oak last night. We went to Pronto and ate glorious roasted garlic!
I'm sure you'll get your date soon enough. Sometimes, it seems to take forever, and then your date is just here...
Dr. G did a hiatal hernia surgery on me at Harper a little over a year ago. It was outpatient, but a nice hospital.
B5_
on 2/25/10 4:50 am - Royal Oak, MI
Honestly, I'm shocked I have anything to lose left!
I think E & G still do work together - at least in the troy office.
I did get my date... 3/12. Woo-hoo!!

We are regulars at Pronto! It's just a couple blocks from our house and is one of my fave places. Their bfast is great and the bbq nachos - yum! They know our dogs by name, but not Dan's and mine!  It's cute. 

Most Active