Lap band removal, what should I know? Questions Questions

shellshock
on 2/23/10 4:22 am - Bremerton, WA

I had a revision from Lapband to RNY on 11/17/09. Everything went smoothly for me. Except that I had a reaction to Morphine and got super dizzy. Once they figured that out and changed it I was good. I was in the hospital one night. I had a liquid loritab for pain and I took it as instructed for about a week. It helped with the pain where the port was taken out on my left side. I really only hurt when I sat down or stood up. It was like I was stretching the muscle too much. That pain stuck around for a few weeks but I have heard others complaining about it longer. I was up and walking every hour and was okay at home by myself during the day. I just couldn't pick anything up from the floor that I dropped. I only took a week and a half off from work but could have taken more. My only complaint at that point was fatigue. One big difference I had was it was difficult to drink. With the band I never had problems with water. I had to use the 1 oz cups to sip my water  early on. I couldn't take them too close together or it would feel weird.

For your nephew's birthday, I think you will be fine. Just stay away from kids that can bump into you and find a comfy chair to relax. I went to New Moon on opening night two days out from surgery and I was okay (with my meds).

The nice thing is I never vomit anymore. I can eat pretty much anything without problems. Though my weight loss is slow. I was told it would be that way since I am a revision. I don't know why it works that way but I am at least losing weight wereas with the lapband I did not. I was just sick all the time.

Good luck!

Shellshock
Revision from Lapband to RNY
Surgery date: 11/17/09 - Dr. Srikanth
HW 316/ SW 283/ CW 235 / 1st Goal 250/ 2nd Goal 200/ 3rd Goal 175 

Rosestar
on 2/23/10 4:38 am
I have been unable to vomit, even with the worst case of stomach flu, nothing will come up. So it will be interesting to see what the surgeon finds in the endoscope on the 3rd. Nothing in my band either. I was in the hospital for dehydration in July, sick for weeks. Be glad to be done with it.

Lap Band --> RNY 3/10/10 Barix, Ypsilanti*5'3*
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 4:32 am - NJ
Are you having the RNY at the same time?  I had mine done in two separate surgeries (to let my stomach heal before doing the RNY).

Band removal on it's own is not a big deal, much easier than having it put in.  The RNY, on the other hand, I don't think you will be going anywhere on the 13th if you are having both done at the same time.
Rosestar
on 2/23/10 4:40 am
Yep both, might as well go in once, I guess is his thinking. I will just get extra doped up for the party.

Lap Band --> RNY 3/10/10 Barix, Ypsilanti*5'3*
Most Active