Lap band removal, what should I know? Questions Questions

Rosestar
on 2/20/10 3:31 am
March 10th is my day. I am amped to say the least. Lap band to RNY!!

I want to know how bad the bruising/pain is where the port is removed.
Is it a similiar recovery?

March 13th is my nephew ( my first!) 's 1st birthday party, am determined to go, even if i have to bring a belly pillow.

How long were you down for? Walking but feelng the brunt of having a big surgery? A week?
Did you hire anyone to come in and help you shower, make food, etc?

Any comparisons to the lap band?

How long did you stay in the hospital?

Did your surgeon comment on your scar tissue situation? Mine said thats what makes it dangerous.

I am healthy besides sleep apnea and being obese. 37, 38 end of March.

I carry all my weight in my midsection. Looking forward to this next step in life.

Have decided to not talk to extended family anymore about this. Not going to let any negativity in, doesn't work for me. Going in with a smile and coming out the other side attempting a smile.

I hate staying in the hospital! Uncomfortable beds and nurses who do not know the meaning of severe pain.

Thanks for the answers, blessings to you all, keep moving forward!

Rose

Lap Band --> RNY 3/10/10 Barix, Ypsilanti*5'3*
(deactivated member)
on 2/20/10 4:50 am, edited 2/20/10 4:51 am
Hi, Rose!

I can identify with your situation. Please see past my posts, I have asked similar questions this week. (Main Forum, DS Forum, RNY Forum and Revision Forum)
Love, Chabela
Rosestar
on 2/20/10 8:53 am
Is there an easier way to search for your posts then just typing your name in the search box? It will bring me to the page but I can't seem to find a post?! Thanks for the information, I WILL find them. Rose

kittenqutie
on 2/20/10 12:21 pm - Phoenix, AZ
OMG we are all in the same boat.  My revision is scheduled for March 1st!!  My B-day is march 8th I hope I'm not too sore.  I am happy, scared, you know the drill but I will be gald to let you know how my surgery goes. . .i mean so that you can guesstimate if you will make it to your nephew's party!

Good luck and congrats!

Rosestar
on 2/21/10 2:15 pm
Hehe, I just replied to your post before reading this. Glad to be in the same boat with you, clear sailing! Please let me know the details, leave nothing out, even the gooshy stuff, if you are good with that.

The surgeon said I had the biggest liver he had ever seen so I am going to shrink it on down, to make it easier for him. I do not want him to do it open, filleting is for fish, not for roses!

Rose

PekinSal
on 2/21/10 7:19 am - UK
I had the band taken out and was up and walking out by the end of the same day. It was easier than having it put in.

I had to wait two months for the DS because my surgeon is conservative and wanted to make sure my stomach had recovered before he sleeved it. The DS went fine but it took a few hours longer. Worst thing in hospital was the boredom

I didnt tell many people about the revision either - I called it 'diabetes surgery' (which it was in a way) because I had got so excited about the band i didnt want them to roll their eyes and say they'd heard it before!

DS revision from failed lapband

bbheim
on 2/21/10 11:49 am - China Grove, NC
When I had my band removed, the pouch area was a mess and it bled for days.  I had to pack it several times a day and I have a decent scar in its place.  I was pretty sore, but up and walking by day 3.  You will still be groggy and need pain meds so don't over do it.  Good luck.

:

Rosestar
on 2/21/10 2:21 pm
The pouch area? Please explain this to me. Where the dudonem is you mean? Or where the port is? The incision at the top of the belly? That was bleeding?

I had an uneventful (Thank You God) lap band surgery, though the frigging nurses sucked and I was in lots of unnecessary pain.

Did they give you a pain pump? Was there a tube inside you after the surgery?

Did you go home with a pillow?

I was up and walking asap because I wanted to get out of the g.d. hospital, how can a person rest if someone is up in their business every few minutes? Then gone for hours when the pain kicks in?

We gotta be advocates for ourselves. I have already told my surgeon that it is a FACT that red heads need more pain medication. I plan on reminding him the day of the surgery. I refuse to suffer in this day and age.

He also told me I bled alot, which is weird because I hadn't taken any blood thinners or blood thinning meds.

He obviously dealt with it well, I recovered right along the lines of others recovery with the band. Ofcourse, it didn't work for me, hence the revision. More scars, I plan on telling anyone who sees them that I was in several knife fights. Or bitten by the sharks I was wrestling.

Bwahaha.

Onward, upward!

Still trying to decide if I need a home attendant for a few days to help me around the house.

Cathleen S.
on 2/22/10 9:03 am

I am scheduled to have my band out and revision to RNY on 3/30/10! I will totally be following you guys to get the skinny (ha ha pun intended) on the whole band to RNY. If you go on the RNY board I posted and some band to RNY gals posted back. Good info so feel free to hop over if it helps. Just follow the link under my pic that says recent posts etc.... GOOD LUCK and lots and lots of BLESSINGS!!!! ~ Cathleen

~Any reality you can imagine~

Rosestar
on 2/22/10 10:54 am
Day after my birthday! Love your quote. March is OUR month ladies!

Most Active