What can I do if lap band has been unsuccessful for me?

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/10 11:37 am
What can I do if lap band has been unsuccessful for me? No weight lost at all in 4 years with fills every two or three months. I feel guilty because I haven't been able to maintain a diet once more in my life and I haven't been motivated for exercises as usually. I think my doctor's team must blame me for not been able to follow a diet, an exercise plan and not attending their group meetings. I never could do those things in the past before the band. I  went to new doctor last year and she told me to get my records from my original surgeon but I felt bad to go there and ask them for my medical records. My husband wants me to have my band removed and he is strongly against any other surgury again. I'm  afraid to gain  more weight after band removal and I'm very confused. Please help me!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/17/10 2:49 am - Bayonne, NJ
The band doesn't offer any malabsorption, so if you have metabolic issues that contribute to your weight (and most people with a high BMI do) then you need something else. You didn't fail, the band failed, and it does that for many people.

Why is your husband so against surgery? Is it fear of hurting you, or losing you? I would revise to a malabsorptive procedure. 

Never feel bad about asking for your records. They are yours!!! You have to take your health into your own hands and demand to be healthy. Don't let anyone intimidate you.

There are some great surgeons in NY & NJ. Consider a revision when having the band removed. 
colleendlyd
on 2/17/10 6:01 am
Hi there,
I am in the process of going through a revision surgery from lapband to RNY. I chose RNY because I am a food grazer - not a large volume eater. Lapbands have quite a high failure rate - so please try not to be so hard on yourself. I got the lapband in May 2007 and have had 16 fills and 3 defills - where I live each fill/defill costs me $100. I am either too tight and can only drink liquids or too loose and can eat too much - and not feel uncomfortable.

Good luck.
MSPARIS58
on 2/18/10 2:42 am - CENTRAL, RI
MY EGD SHOWWED A SLIP AND I HAVE HAD SURGERY IN 24 HOURS TO FIX IT AND NOW RECOOPERATING  GOOD LUCK
B5_
on 2/17/10 9:27 pm - Royal Oak, MI
Have you had an EGD to see if the band has eroded or an upper GI to see if it has slipped? 
MSPARIS58
on 2/18/10 2:40 am - CENTRAL, RI
I HAD A LAP BAND FOR TWO YEARS SUFFERED A BLOCKAGEAND HAD EMERGENCY SURGERYU TO A SLEEVE A FEW DAYS AGE NOW IM ON LIQUIDS THATS NOT SO BADI NEED TO EDUCATE MYSELF FOR A SLEEVE WHEN I FEEL STRONGER. ANY SUGEATIONS HELP!  I WAS DONE ON VALENTINES DAY AND AM HOME I LL LOOK FOR ANTY SUGGESTIONS YOU HAVE FOR POST OP
Sandy Crosland
on 2/17/10 11:04 pm - Deltona, FL
Dear Chabela,
Please do not beat yourself up, sometimes particuarly with lap banding there are some failure/rejection rates and you are certainly not a failure.  All of the wls procedures are tools and things can happen.  I would certainly attend a local seminar and find out what options you have. It would be wonderful if your spouse could attend and perhaps speak with the surgeon.  The new gastric sleeve may be available and might be an option as well but I would never stop investing in yourself or beliving in you and reach for all your dreams!
I had a revision of my ryn this past October and have learned so much more and life is all about learning and growing.

Find out what options are available and after getting all your facts you and your husband can make and educated choice and you will be on your way to taking control back of your health and life!

Please keep us informed.

Take care huggggggggs,
Sandy

hopeful_2ndchance Sandy  

pragna222
on 4/22/10 6:31 am - Sterling, VA
I am in the exact same postion as you - only my surgeon has been fantastic. I had the band removed in December after months of pain, reflux, etc, etc.... I was scheduled to have the RNY on the day the band was removed, but I chickened out of it and now am so regretting that decision. I was doing well with the band until the pain started and then it went downhill form there. My Surgeon explained that for unknown reasons, some people are too sensitive to a foreign body sitting around their stomach. I know I followed the program well as I had great success until the problems started. I too feel like I have failed yet again, at yet another weight loss attempt.

Now I am contemplating RNY - but don't want to fail again. I have to do something desperately, but my husband does not want me to go through such a big surgery. I am so bummed and we all know what happens when we feel down...we eat... :-(

Most Active