Revision - Molina Band to VSG

Jo R.
on 2/16/10 1:12 am - Houston, TX
Has anyone done a revision from Molina Band to VSG?  I had the Molina band put in 1988 and am now scheduled to have the revision.  Of course the doctor scared the heck out of me telling me about they might have to chisel the band off if the stomach has grown around it, etc, etc.  I was wondering if anyone has had this done and what complications you have had.  I'm very nervous about that but not about the surgery itself.  I think the surgery has enough complications of it's own but to throw the Molina band and its 20 year old complications with it as well really scares me...

Hope someone can ease my mind...I'm scheduled on 11-March.

Thanks,

Jo
Ara Keshishian
on 2/16/10 1:51 am - Glendale, CA
 Hello,
I have done these revisions.
The scar tissue between the band the the native stomach may be very thick and hard needing a "chisel" to remove it.
I am sure your surgeon is experienced and you will do fine. I do however tell my patients that there may be a situation that I may not be able to revise it and it would need to be done in a staged format of removing the band and let it heal and then go back and complete the surgery.
Good luck.
Ara
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

Jo R.
on 2/16/10 10:14 am - Houston, TX
Thank you for your message.  When he mentioned chisel, that scared me and then he said that if the chiseling looks like it will cause a leak, he will stop the surgery and close me up.  I did ask him if he had done several Molina reversals; he said yes but I guess he was preparing me for a possible situation.  Anyway, that did scare me but your reply did help clarify what was going to possibly happen.  Thanks again for your response. 

I hope he's skilled enough....
Regards,
Jo
Most Active