Canadian New to the boards

Michelle H.
on 2/14/10 5:58 am - Canada
Hello I had the RNY done in December 1999 by Dr Carl Nohr.  I very successfully lost 170 pounds.  10 years later I desperately need a revision.  I am up to 250 pounds and back to feeling like a sloth.  

I am currently trying to get in to see Dr Birch in Edmonton Alberta for the Stomaphyx.  I have no idea how long it will take to get it and then how long it will take to undergo the procedure.  Anyone on this board from Western Canada who might be able to give some information on this?

As well I have seen a lot of you say you went from a RNY to the DS.  Can you explain how and why you chose the DS and what prompted you to change your original WLS?

THanks in advance I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning from you all.

Blessings

colleendlyd
on 2/14/10 6:20 am
Hi Teaz,
I am from Calgary and had a lapband in May 2007 - i am now researching revision surgery to RNY or Sleeve. I am in the process of booking in surgery in mexico with Dr. Almanza.  I have to self pay as the process in Canada is way too long for me. Good luck with your search. You will find a lot of support and information on the board.

Cheers,
C
Kerry J.
on 2/14/10 7:53 am - Santa Clara, UT
Heh TEAZ,

I had gastric bypass / RNY done in 1980 and got a revision to DS in Sept. 2008, so I lived with that damn pouch for 28 years. I hated it, I had dumping, reactive hypoglycemia and all foods like steak, roast beef, raw veggies rice etc. would stick in my stoma and I would end up puking it up. I did lose the excess weight, but after about a year, it was a real struggle to keep it off because the only foods I could eat without any trouble were soft carby foods like pizza and pasta. Still, I did manage to keep the weight off for about 15 years with diet and exercise. But I got sick in 1995-96 and couldn't exercise for a year and that was the end of my weight control. I ended up gaining it all back.

I did a lot of research before deciding to get the DS, because I would be self paying and I wanted the weight thing solved. RNY to DS is a difficult revision and only a few surgeons have the skill and experience to do it safely, but it can be done. For me, it's like heaven, no dumping, no food sticking, I eat like a naturally thin person does and I've lost all my excess weight. My only regret is that I didn't get the DS 10 years earlier.

Here's a link to my 1 year out post back in Sept: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/  

It's a big deal to get this revision, but I would do it every year if I had to in order to have what I have now. It's fantastic, I'm almost 58 now and I feel like I'm 30 again.

Kerry

runnergirl
on 2/14/10 9:23 am - Canada
 Hi Teaz, I too am from Alberta. I was revised from the VBG to the DS nearly a year and a half ago. I went to Brazil as a self pay. I am so pleased. Good luck, 

Heather
sreed1966
on 2/24/10 8:55 am - Livonia, MI
You might get some really good opinions if you type Stomaphyx in the Title line. i am a band to VSG so I don't have personal experience, but I have not heard one person that had any luck with the stomaphyx. I think one person lost 20 pounds, and that was it.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and like I said. If you ask for opinions on that particular procedure, you will get many....

Cheers!

Lapband 2003 - Lost 85 lbs...
Revision to VSG 12/09

Most Active