X-post Update on my journey

smileyjamie72
on 2/10/10 5:40 am - Palmer, AK

I posted this on the DS messageboard.  But I wanted to update all of you too!!!!

Good Morning!!!  I sure could use some feedback, here.  Please.

OK, let me back up a little bit, so everyone can hopefully get my point.  Sometimes I can be so damn confusing when I post.  Sorry in advance.

I am seeking a revision from my RNY to a DS.  I have been working on the insurance hoops to get an approval.  We did submit for a pre-certification back in September.  In October, the insurance company sent a letter.  (It is in my profile)  Not necessarily a denial, but more like they wanted more testing, in my eyes, it looks like the insurance company is looking for some sort of a component of mechanical failure to approve my revision surgery.

So, back in December I had an upper GI with a small bowel follow through.  During the test... when the contrast was working it's way down.... the contrast just "stooped" for like 2 hours.  So, I had to sit, wait, drink more contrast, and repeat, and repeat.  When the radiologist was taking the last of the pictures, there was a part that he could not really 'see'.

Fast forward to yesterday.  I FINALLY had my appointment with another doctor (He does EGD's) and he looked at my upper GI, and says, well, I do not want to do the EGD just yet, I want to do a CAT scan, I think it may be a possibility that you may have a partial bowel obstruction.  My scan is Monday & my follow-up with the doc is Tuesday afternoon.

Not to mention that I have difficulty taking time off of work.  Work is a very tough situation right now & I do not want to "call attention" to my self.  We are all under the microscope as it is.

OK, OK, I went in to that appointment yesterday with high hopes for the "last step" to get my EGD scheduled, so that, I would be able to get ready for another submittal to the insurance company & now that is put off!!!! ***FRUSTRATED!!!***

Now, back to my appointment yesterday.  The reason I wanted to go to this specific doctor is because he is new to our area hospital (60 miles or so from Anchorage) and he is the first surgeon here at this hospital who does the gastric sleeve.    My reasoning was this:  I did not want to have an EGD and have a doctor put a "hole" in my pouch.

Anyways, I discussed my desire to have a revision & he pretty much shot me down, and so, I had to defend myself & my decision.  That just kinda sucked.  So, I walked out of the appointment disappointed, because I felt I had to defend myself.  The doctor's view was that "I had already had one malabsortive surgery".... basically, how would the DS help me lose my regained weight? I told him that I did not know at the time of my RNY in 2002 that the DS exsisted, or I would have researched it and probably chosen the DS, and that I have weight metabolism issues, he just didn't get it.  And now I have a new problem!!

So, I am trying to be patient.  Yes, I still poop everyday, but my worry is not necessarily my possible obstruction, but that he will not be willing to do the EGD??!!??

UUUGGGHHHH
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

JROLFSON
on 2/10/10 7:16 am - St. George, UT
Jamie:

I've been watching you and your posts for quite some time now...Honestly I feel you are barking up the wrong tree with Dr.'s close to home...You know by what you've read on these boards that there is only a handful of Surgeons who are comfortable doing a RNY conversion to DS why not get on board with Dr. Husted he's a ways away from you I now but probably the best and closest of the handful of Revision Surgeons that really know this procedure...I know it's probably a insurance/money issue but honestly don't trust your life with a Surgeon who is for one not comfortable doing what you want and for two who doesn't make you feel comfortable...I can guarantee you that Husted, Keshishian, Rabkin, Greenbaum any of these Dr.'s will give you the warm and fuzzies...Not just because they know what their doing but because they take difficult cases on because their comfortable doing them...It makes a huge difference going into surgery, and knowing that...

Good Luck To You Jamie...

It would be great to see you get your revision

JRolfson
smileyjamie72
on 2/10/10 9:03 am - Palmer, AK
Oh... I TRUELY AGREE!!!!  I do not plan on having any bariactric surgery in Alaska.  NONE.

I just wanted someone familiar with my anatomy, whom I would feel more comfortable with sticking a tube down my throat.

THANKS!!!  You are always so full of information, I appreciate it!!!!
-Jamie

LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

JROLFSON
on 2/11/10 12:35 am - St. George, UT
Dear Jamie:

I am saying and sending special prayers on your behalf...I really hope your surgery happens for you soon...You have been waiting and trying for so long you truly deserve the break you need.

Good Luck sweet Jamie...

Janie
smileyjamie72
on 2/12/10 5:08 am - Palmer, AK

Janie-

Thank YOU!!!!

LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003