RNY Reversal

Penumbra
on 2/9/10 8:09 am - Mount Vernon, WA
 Has anyone had their RNY reversed? I am currently in the hospital (and have been for 3 months now) after an intestinal blockage that was misdiagnosed for a week resulting in major open surgery and the loss of 20cm of small bowel. They repaired and rebuilt the pouch. but now I have a stricture and am wondering if it wouldn't be better to simply reverse the whole RNY to try and get as much function back to my digestive system as possible. I just wondered if anyone here has ever had their RNY reversed. I know its possible but I'd like to know how it works out. 
 "Thank God for your trials as much as for your blessings; without the salt of tears you cannot truly appreciate the sweetness of joy." 
                                                                      -Written after the best and worst year of my life.
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/10 7:25 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I had mine reversed and then converted over to a DS. Reversals are possible, but you'd have to consult with a very experienced surgeon. Leaks are a major complication after reversal.  I went to Dr. Greenbaum in NJ, and had no complications.
JROLFSON
on 2/10/10 7:07 am - St. George, UT

Most individuals who have had any kind of WL Surgery never want to here the reversal word because most of us know it would mean weight gain.

I know you probably feel after all you've been through that a reversal would be better but do you feel you can maintain the weight loss if you did...

For me and I've had 3 Weight Loss Surgeries 2 of them revisions...I just couldn't face life with weight gain ever again...

So it's really totally a personal choice but yes it's definately possible and several have done it but most don't completely reverse they revise to something else and there are several choices out there but they all come with challenges and side effects...there is no perfect solution.

Good Luck to you.

JRolfson

Most Active