Here I go again - - Xpost on LW board

beckywarf
on 2/7/10 10:04 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Ok - So right now I have surgery scheduled on February 17th.  Had lap-band placed in July 2007.  Went from 230+ to my lowest of around 171 for a short lived 3 weeks.  There is no clue when it is that my lapband failed, but when we looked under flouro it was a leak at the band site. 
While I love my band as i had never gotten the real "your full" feeling, I also had the constant left side pain, and muscle cramping now and again with my port, and the increasing reocccurance of GERD.  It did give me the steps I needed to realize how food played a role in my life socially.

Now here we are again and thanks to the internet, I saw way too many complications with re-banding and met with my surgeon.  My insurance BCBS of Arizona only covers the RNY, DS, or band.  So I asked my surgeon, with all the complication rates, adn my reflux - what do you reccomend.  He said with my insurance, RNY.  He also does the sleeve, adn has sometimes had to "do that" based on scar tissue when he gets in. 

So i did all the tests, again, and am waiting to see what the insurance company says = YAY/NAY

Meanwhile i started my pre-op diet and its harder then it was before... only because I am super hungry :) with no fluid in me. 

Please feel free to contact me - and I am interested in any of you who have had any form of RNY - either revision or first time and what to expect, or anything I might need to know. 
(deactivated member)
on 2/8/10 2:06 am - Bayonne, NJ
Try for the DS. RNY can cause reflux from the pouch. Some RNY people barf all the time ( I was one of 'em) and I haven't lost anything yet post-DS.

A surgeon who doesn't do the DS won't recommend it, and most PCPs only know about RNY & lap-band. BCBS covered my DS revision with no problems.
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/10 4:41 am
I am in the process of having a revision done too. I'd really like to have the DS done. I go to Dr. Hill on March 5th to see what he has to say. I know it's a struggle with insurance at times-I hope you get a positive reply from them soon! Best wishes to you!
Most Active