Just starting this process......again....any advice appreciated

saintsgirl
on 2/7/10 1:57 am
Brief story....LapBand in 11/02, lost 40 lbs., got pregnant, didn't gain throughout pregnancy but never lost more and now have gained almost all back, putting me back around 320.  I feel like a complete failure.  I was such a band cheerleader at the time and so sure this would be my answer!  I've had really no surgical post op care due to post hurricane scattering of docs.  Now I'm feeling pains around my port site, and I'm completely depressed.  I am late 30s, married with a gorgeous little girl, but I feel like I am slowly dying.  I don't know what to do.  I want to consider another surgical option, but I'm not clear on what would be the best with a revision but I'm not even sure where to start.  Thoughts?   Ideas?  Board with which to hit me over the head??
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/7/10 4:43 am
If your weight is at 320, your BMI has to be pretty high. According to studies the DS has the best weight loss, best maintenance of that loss, best resolution of co-morbidities, and most normal post op lifestyle.

There is great information and links to studies at DSfacts.com. Good luck finding a surgery that works for you, and if you have any questions about what it's like living with DS, feel free to message me of just come over to the DS board. It's a very informative group over there.
ricki
on 2/7/10 6:31 am
If you read here on the revision board, most who are looking for revisions are lapbanders and RNY'rs.. Bearmom gave you good advice.. come on over to the DS board and read about this wonderful surgery with the greatest results and best odds for keeping your weight off long term. 
(deactivated member)
on 2/8/10 2:07 am - Bayonne, NJ
I agree with the others. I went from RNY to DS, and I know an awful lot of RNY people *****gained completely. It's sad. :(
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/10 4:44 am
I'm looking into a revision from RNY to DS. I believe like the others said-the DS would be best for me because of my BMI being so high to begin with. Don't give up on yourself! You can do this! I know it's very easy to become depressed-I know this is harder to do than said-but focus on positive things as much as possible-especially your little girl! Best wishes to you!
PekinSal
on 2/11/10 6:12 am - UK
I've walked in your shoes and was so disappointed that the band hadn't worked like I hoped it would. And really jealous of the people who did well with it, including my husband.

So having found one surgery that didn't work I wanted one that would the next time. For me I chose DS because I had diabetes as well and wanted to keep my eyesight. I needed something more than just restriction, and not being able to absorb much fat is a real help when you're deciding what to eat.

I wanted something that was easy to live with - the band and me fought a lot about what i could keep down, when I could eat it and made me follow lots of rules. DS has the least rules of the surgeries, even if those rules (vits, protein, labs) are strict. I didn't want to dump either - it sounds nasty to me and not something to look forward to.

You have to think honestly what you can live with and how many rules you think you will follow

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active