Made My Decision & Picked My DATE!!!

kittenqutie
on 2/6/10 1:26 am - Phoenix, AZ
SO I have been researching for 3 months, I have the "Band" and NEED revision because of the WICKED REFLUX and Esophageal damage that was created by the Band

I want to THANK EVERYONE for all their help and information.  It was really hard because you always have to pick the best surgery for YOU.  My final choice is RNY.  When I started looking into WLS wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy back in 2000, I wanted RNY but my PCP at the time said and I quote "that's very drastic "we" should try other things before "we" head that route"---WTF  Who is this "WE" he was talking about he was 6 foot and weighed all of 150 (soaking wet with rocks in his pockets)  I was the FAT one.  But the ins I had required a referral so without his consent surgery was a no go.

2 years ago (yesterday) I had the band put in I talked myself into it because there was lower risks, it was reversible, and you couldn't turn the TV on without seeing one of those damned lion/cat commercials.  Deep down i wanted bypass but the band was and easy sell to my and my family.  In the end I have a bit of buyers remorse BUT that's all going to change on March 1st.

I'm scared, happy, stressed and all those other emotions that go along with it but OH has been a life saver.  Long story short (i know too late) this forum is great and each of you have a special place in my heart!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/10 2:53 am
Congratulations on making your decision and picking your date! I wish you much success on your new journey!
ARIEL07
on 2/8/10 3:23 am
Im having a revision from Lapband to RNY as well. My surgery is scheduled for March 22nd. I wish you a speedy rcovery and keep us posted on your progress.
kittenqutie
on 2/13/10 2:48 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you sooooo much for your well wishes.  I will keep you posted on my recovery.  We can get thru this together!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/10 2:07 pm - Canandaigua, NY
You didn't mention the DS or VSG.  Did you look into either of those options?  The DS is the "platinum" WLS with the best results both short and long term, statistically, and the highest patient satisfaction.  Just want to be sure you're aware of all the options.  If you've already looked into them, great!  Best wishes to you on your revision!
kittenqutie
on 2/13/10 3:13 am - Phoenix, AZ
I have looked at all my alternatives.  I've been told I have a "virgin" tummy because its all still there just pinched a little.  I have seriously examined DS and finally decided that it's not for me. . .I truly belive the RNY will be MY best option.  I don't eat very many "high fat" foods and can't really see myself doing that on a regular basis.  Carbs are got me here and I'd have to watch them with any procedure so RNY is the way to go for me.

Thank you as well for the well wishes.  I will try very hard to keep everyone posted

Kerry J.
on 2/13/10 6:07 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hmm, I don't understand your logic about carbs and RNY. I had gastric bypass / RNY for 28 years and because of the damn pouch, soft carbs were about all I could eat. Dense proteins like steak and roast would stick, raw veggies would stick, milk would make me dump etc. I hated it.

The RNY did help me lose the weight, but after about a year, it was no help and because of the food sticking and dumping really made it more difficult to maintain the weight loss. I did it though for 15 years with a lot of exercise and really watching what I ate, but it finally got me when I got sick and couldn't exercise. I ended up gaining all the weight back.

Got a revision to DS in Sept 2008 and it's like heaven, there's no diet, I eat like a naturally thin person, I've lost all my excess weight, I feel great and it's like I'm 30 again.

I realize that there are a lot of people who do well with RNY; I suppose I Was one for about 15 years, but even though I was successful, I hated how I had to live to maintain; sucked rocks as far as I;m concerned.

Here's a link to my 1 year out post; and if you want to read more about my years of RNY, PM me and I'll make you a friend so you can read my profile:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/10 4:51 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 06/21/12
WoW! Have I come to the Right place! Thank you soooo much! I had lap band 4/2007 started at 300 I am now up and down but today the scale said 224. I am seeing my Doc on Monday and I am going to discuss Revision, I need to do my homework to see what is a better fit for me, Thanx, Kristine
kittenqutie
on 2/13/10 3:14 am - Phoenix, AZ
Are you having problems with your band???  I know I can't wait to have mine gone. . .Just 15 more days!!!

Most Active