Going back to surgeon about gaining weight

reenieb
on 2/5/10 4:03 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Yep, I got the same thing from my surgeon at my 5 year visit - he refused to believe me when I told him I was constantly painfully hungry and that I could eat anything in just about any quantity. He said, "If this is true, you will officially be my first mechanical failure." Utter bull**** I'm looking for a qualified revision surgeon in the state as my insurance will only cover doctors in the network. I feel pretty overwhelmed by it all and saddened by what feels to me to be a personal failure - but I'm tired of hanging on by my fingernails... they're all gone by now anyhoo - best, Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
jaxmom
on 2/4/10 7:17 am
Hi Lilly,

We have very similar stories. I had RNY in 2002. Gained weight from 2 back to back pregnancies and then the weight kept creeping on.

I kept trying to gain control... diet after diet... i just could not stick to anything. I felt like such a failure. My surgeon, years ago, would talk about "rules and compliance!!!!!" and i was too mortified to go back in his office overweight and look like a failure. A year ago, I called the nutritionist at his office to send me a copy of the post-op diet that i originally followed after the surgery. The surgeon called me later and was actually pleasant (unlike his disposition several years prior) and said "please come back in to the office. it's not your fault. you did not fail. you just need some help."  I never went. I tried the post-op diet, joining the gym.... i just was in such a funk....

I finally went back, last month. Not gonna lie... I was so embarrassed! I did not want to be in the waiting room with all of the pre-ops asking me if i just had the surgery, yadda yadda, and then have to explain myself.

My surgeon sat me down and said that the rny is not without its caveats and a large majority experience some weight gain... some a small amount, some a large amount. The malabsorption of calories is no longer there for you and you lose a lot of the restriction, boom! you gain weight. He told me "life happens, you have a beautiful family, and the self-loathing and feelings of failure have to stop." He was sooooo right. We were given a Bentley and even Bentley's have engine trouble and need to be serviced. How true!

After a month of meeting with him and getting some tests (upper GI and endoscopy) we made a decision, collaboratively, yesterday. I am getting a lap-band over bypass next month! I am sooo happy that I  have another chance.

Surgery is not your only option, Lilly, but it is there if you cannot gain control on your own. Posting on here was your first step. I think you should bite the bullet and call first thing before you have a chance to reconsider. Had I gone in a year ago, it would have been the difference of 30 pounds!!!! Bring your Bentley in to be serviced, my friend. Your surgeon is not there to judge and I promise he/she is aware that weight gain is very common. It will be ok... promise!!!!
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

pycca
on 2/4/10 11:39 pm - Haslet, TX
You could not pay me enough money to EVER have a lap band again !!!   I was sooo tired of

choking,  vomiting and drinking only liquids. Could not eat solids after a while, no matter how

many times I chewed the food to be pulverized !!   Even pureed would not go down smooth !!

Best of  luck for you !

jaxmom
on 2/4/10 11:46 pm
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience... hopefully, I will not have to endure that (fingers crossed). I had a lot of complications with the RNY. The body is a tricky and finicky thing.... but going in I was well aware of the complications that could potentially occur (and still do not regret having the surgery). Regardless, I hope you call your surgeon and go back in to be seen to get back on track. The longer you wait, the harder it gets- you know the deal. Good luck.

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

reenieb
on 2/5/10 4:08 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Have you revised to something else?
reenieb
on 2/5/10 4:07 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Wow! What a terrific post - not only in terms of the way you convey your own story, but the obvious caring and support you extend to Lilly. I am privileged to have read this! Maureen
jaxmom
on 2/5/10 7:40 am
awww, thanks maureen

Most Active