RNY revised to... an RNY!!!!

StacysMom
on 2/3/10 2:17 pm
 Right now, what you have going for you is that your stomach is NOT transected which makes the RNY to DS revision  a bit easier for the surgeon to do.   Once you cut your stomach up, it makes it VERY difficult, more prone to leaks and, like it is, only a handful of surgeons in the world have the experience and skill to even DO an RNY to DS revision.

I've recently read on here where someone wanted the RNY to DS revision, but settled for the ERNY (extended RNY - which is a VERY distal RNY) and now her insurance has changed and she's going to go for the full DS.   It would involve another major surgery for her, but the ERNY isn't giving her the result she was hoping for.

It would be awful for you to be in the same boat a year from now.   And, what if your insurance company's policy on the DS changed in, say a year or so, and you could have had the superior surgery in the first place and not have to reconnect your stomach and your pouch and risk leaks?

If you do get your pouch revised, you may want to do it without transecting your stomach, just so the DS option will be easier to do, if and when you find it to be a viable choice.

Something to think about?
StillTammy
on 2/3/10 11:24 pm - Langley, WA
Am I even a candidate for DS?  I'm less than 100 lbs overweight, have a BMI of about 38 and have only about 4 co-morbidities.

I'm trying to look up where it says that the DS is not covered, found it at one time but now I can't.  I'll find it again and see what it says.  If I can find out why, I may have a shot at it.

T
   Tammy Lee 

Kerry J.
on 2/4/10 1:29 am - Santa Clara, UT
General requirements for DS are BMI 40 with no co-morbidities or 35 with any co-morbidities. If you have 4 you should qualify.

Kerry
smileyjamie72
on 2/4/10 5:17 am - Palmer, AK
Also, here is the link to the Lightweights board, too!!!!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

They are great!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

ginau
on 2/4/10 3:29 pm - mesa, AZ
Tammy 

Your not a virgin surgery  canidate any longer.  I am pretty sure that anything they plan  to do is some type of corrective procedure. It all depends on what they plan to do and how they plan to bill  the procedure.  talk to your Dr about this.

Make sure to talk to your insurance company! My revision  was covered by insurance --  I met their  criteria .  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/10 2:00 am - Bayonne, NJ
There's a lawyer who specifically goes up against the insurance companies. His name is Walter Lindstrom, and he's reasonable. He can look into it for you. http://obesitylaw.com/
(deactivated member)
on 2/8/10 2:02 pm - Canandaigua, NY
Medicare covers the DS, which makes it much easier to appeal to an insurance company that refuses to cover it. Medicare is kind of the "standard" that other insurance companies usually follow.  I think you would have a strong case to appeal and win. There's several insurance gurus on the DS board that can walk you through an appeal process if you're interested. 

Also, RNY to DS revision is a complicated surgery - you need to be sure you have an experienced DS revision surgeon working with you.  The DS board can help you find one in your area. You might want to schedule a consult with a DS revision surgeon and let their office help with the insurance issues too.   I would REALLY encourage you to pursue a DS long and hard before settling for a repeat of what you already have!  Best wishes!!!  
katies2angels
on 2/11/10 8:56 am
Hi

Just wanted you to know that I had an open RNY and my doctor did a revision RNY.  Yet it is true there are more risks involved I had a lot of scar tissue wound up getting part of my stomach removed and 5 feet of intestion also part of my liver had to be removed since they were attached on my liver.  I had my revision surgery Oct 27th and have lost  50 pounds so far.  I was told it is much harder for revision patients to lose weight but I am doing well so far that's what my doctor told me.  The normal loss is 10 pounds...Ask your doctor if that is the average for revision surgeries.  My doctor told me this after my 3rd follow up visit if I knew that prior I could have said no way.  But I am proof it is working.  I wish you luck. 
I also did have a drain it was removed before I was discharged from the hospital.  No complications I am doing well.  There is nothing you can prepare for unfortunately.. 
Most Active