RNY revised to... an RNY!!!!

StillTammy
on 2/3/10 7:34 am - Langley, WA
Hi there.

I'm a previous, non-transected Open-RNY distal patient (2002) and I have a staple line disruption and a pouch that's too big.  The plan is to create a new staple line effectively making the pouch smaller and transect the remainder of the stomach this time.

I've been told that as far as revisions go this procedure is reasonably common, but the risks are higher than the original surgery because of the scar tissue and such.  Drains will have to be placed this time, NG tube might have to stay in place longer, etc.

Anyone else have this done?  Been through any complications?  Anything in particular I can prepare for? Tips? Tricks? Let me know
ricki
on 2/3/10 7:45 am
that's what a surgeon wanted to do to me, but I had a revision from the RNY to DS.  No more RNY for me.. no more dumping, food getting stuck, vomiting and now I can eat just like a normal person!
StillTammy
on 2/3/10 7:55 am - Langley, WA
My insurance doesn't cover the DS unfortunately; that's what I looked at first.  I guess I'm basically getting my original RNY fixed.
   Tammy Lee 

Kerry J.
on 2/3/10 8:46 am - Santa Clara, UT
Before you give up on getting a revision to DS, how about posting about this over on the DS Forum? There are a number of DSers there who appealed their insurance denials and won. There are some really sharp insurance gurus over there who may be able to help.

As an aside, I had the same thing you have only I got it done in 1980 and I put up with it for 28 years before getting the revision to DS. As far as I'm concerned there's no way, no way in hell I would go back to having that damn pouch again. The DS is like heaven compared to the RNY hell I was living in. Because of the DS, I'm out of RNY hell and Fat Prison; I love, love, love my DS.

Here's a link to my 1 year out post:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/

If you want to know more about my 28 years of RNY and revision, send me a PM and I'll make you a friend and you can read all about it on my profile.

Kerry

StillTammy
on 2/3/10 10:00 am - Langley, WA
But my insurance specifically states in their policy that they don't cover DS.  Is there a way to force them to cover it?  You've got to be kidding?

T
   Tammy Lee 

Kerry J.
on 2/3/10 10:17 am - Santa Clara, UT
I'm not any kind of an authority on insurance; in fact I self paid to get my revision to DS because my insurance didn't cover any kind of WLS.

However, I do know that insurance companies can't just decide to exclude a procedure that's indicated or needed. If it covers RNY, there's a good chance they could be forced to cover the DS. But as I said, I'm no authority on insurance; however there are a number of very smart and helpful people over on the DS Forum who are very well versed in insurance law and could probably help you find out if it can be covered. Please post you insurance info over on the DS Forum and see what Diana Cox, Larra and others say about it; they really know their stuff on insurance.

Kerry

StillTammy
on 2/3/10 10:52 am - Langley, WA
the system is calling your profile private so I can't seem to make the friend request, but I did post a message to the the DS forum.  Thanks :-)
smileyjamie72
on 2/3/10 8:56 am - Palmer, AK
Please Take the info Kerry gave you VERY serious!!!  If you look at my sig line, you will see that I am on my journey from my 2002 RNY to a DS.

Insurance matters.... There are MANY, MANY talented people!!!  Please, do not give up, "because DS is not covered"  LOTS of people fought for what they wanted & even switched insurnaces to get what they wanted!!!

Take a look in my profile, as well.  I am having insurance issues too.

Take Care and GOOD LUCK in YOUR JOURNEY!!!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

vitalady
on 2/3/10 9:09 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Who did your original distal? That'd tell me something about the pouch. If it was Fox or Oh, they started transecting in 1996, and they did the only true distals at that time.

I'm a 1994, revised in 2000. Just a simple SLD. I was built up nutritionally before my revision, so other than having to take naps, it was a non-event. Still a whole surgery, but no actual change to my surgery type.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

StillTammy
on 2/3/10 9:58 am, edited 2/3/10 10:01 am - Langley, WA
OMG Michelle!  You don't recognize me..  It's Tammy.  My name was Baltazar then.  My surgeon was Weber.  I used to have an old account on here but I couldn't find it so I had to create a new one.  Yeah, I was doing great until a couple years ago.  You had a revision too?  Look at my pictures, send me mail.

T
   Tammy Lee 

Most Active