RNY to DS Revision Questions

cpinck
on 2/2/10 3:11 am - Henderson, KY
Hi everyone,   I had the Distal RNY on 10/06 starting at 354 and got down to 258 in 6 months. That’s when it stopped. I thought that I was following all of the rules at the time. I have VERY low metabolism. I have now gotten up to 310 lbs. I am planning on having a revision to a DS with Dr. Husted as my surgeon but my insurance dictates that I have 12 months of PCP visits before I can have the surgery and this month will be my 12th month. YEAH! But I am very nervous naturally.    I had a phone consult with Dr. Husted a little over a month ago and he told me that he was not surprised that I gained most of my weight back. He said that, because my BMI was so high, I should have had the DS in the beginning. There wasn’t anyone close by that did the DS at the time.    I am on a few email groups that discuss the DS procedure and one email said that most people lose weight more slowly with a revision than they do with their first surgery. Is this true?? Also, another list said that I should make it clear to Dr. Husted that I want the DS because of a post that he made on this forum about different surgeries that he performs that are not the “actual" DS. I read the post but it was very foreign to me as I am very illiterate in my knowledge of medical terminology. I know the DS, RNY and Band but if you start talking about channels, sleeves, etc… I am lost! L    One more note, when I had my first surgery, everything went very smoothly. The only problem was my breathing. I used to be a smoker. I quit almost 5 years ago now. So they had me in ICU because I was having some breathing issues. When I went back for my 2 week checkup, my surgeon at the time said that I could go back to work if I wanted to. I was having personal issues at work so I opted to stay off for my 6 weeks. With this surgery, I am hoping that I can go back after 2 weeks. My job is 99% sit down.    Does anyone know the complication ratio for a revision to a DS from Dr. Husted?   Thanks, Cherri
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/10 9:36 am - Bayonne, NJ
I can't answer any questions specific to Dr. Husted's work, but you are going to need the 6 weeks. DS was much rougher on me than RNY. I went back yesterday and I'm exhausted. I came home, went to bed, slept the entire night.

I guess I am losing weight more slowly. I lost 25 lbs total, but hit a stall. Everyone says that's natural, and I should just forget about it for awhile, so that's what I'm doing.
Kerry J.
on 2/2/10 11:06 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Cherri,

I posted a conversation I had with Dr. Husted about a surgery he sometimes does that's sort of like the DS only it keeps the RNY pouch. Since I lived with a RNY pouch for 28 years, I'm of the opinion that this is not a good idea, but then my opinion is based on my horrible experience with that damn pouch. There's no way in hell I would allow that to be done to me. I got the full DS and have a sleeve which is a fully functional but smaller stomach and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

I had the RNY for 28 years and when I got the revision, I lost weight very quickly at first then the loss tapered off and I've been stable where I am now for 6 months or so. I'm very pleased with the way the DS works, I never dump, food never sticks and I can eat like a normally thin person with no ill effects.

My advise to you would be that if you go with Dr. Husted, make sure he is revising you to a full DS and that you will get your pyloric valve back.

Kerry
ricki
on 2/3/10 6:50 am

I lost weight on the same curve (or ahead) of virgin DS'rs.  I had a true take down of my RNY and a true DS done by Dr. Husted in 06.  At the bottom of my siggy you will see a link which will take you to the lab rat charts.. you can look up all of Dr. Husted's patients (by sorting at the top) and see their stomach volume, common channel, alimentary limb, biliopancreatic limb, etc..

Tabitha70
on 2/3/10 9:38 am, edited 2/3/10 9:39 am
Hello.  I had a revision with Dr. Husted 14 months ago. I was revised from RNY to a full DS. I did have complications...a stubborn leak and then some other things. I was in the hospital for 2 months.  That said, I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Husted!  I believe the leak would have happened no matter who did the surgery, it was along my old RNY staple line.  Thank God I had someone as experienced as Dr. Husted to take care of me.  He had to try a lot of different things and I had multiple surgical procedures, it was really stubborn. I am not sure I would still be here if I hadn't been in such competent hands. He has done so many surgeries that he has pretty much seen everything and that's a very good thing to have in a surgeon.
I don't know how fast of a loser I am. I've lost 171lbs. as of today and am still losing about 10lbs. per month. You can see my quick stats in my signature line.
I also just posted an update on the DS board if you'd like to read more.
Good luck!!  :-)

Editing to add that IF you read that Dr. Husted has more complications ( I don't think this is true and have never read it...just an 'IF') remember that he takes on cases that other surgeons won't.  He takes on patients with higher BMI's and comorbidities that many others would not so it would make sense that those types of patients may have a higher incidence of complications. Once again, I have never heard/read that his patients have a higher complication ratio...I'm just saying it would sort of make sense even if  they did. 

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/10 10:10 am
I can't answer your questions-but I wanted to say you are not alone on this journey. I am also now looking into having a revision done from RNY to hopefully a full DS. I was over 400lbs the day of my surgery and have gotten down to 195lbs as my lowest weight-but am back up to 220lbs. I was told because of my BMI I should have had the DS done in the first place too-but none of the surgeons near me were doing it back in 2003. Best wishes to you!

*hugs*
Kathy
cpinck
on 2/3/10 11:55 pm - Henderson, KY
On February 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM Pacific Time, Kathy R. wrote:
I can't answer your questions-but I wanted to say you are not alone on this journey. I am also now looking into having a revision done from RNY to hopefully a full DS. I was over 400lbs the day of my surgery and have gotten down to 195lbs as my lowest weight-but am back up to 220lbs. I was told because of my BMI I should have had the DS done in the first place too-but none of the surgeons near me were doing it back in 2003. Best wishes to you!

*hugs*
Kathy
Hi Kathy,

Sounds like you and me are in the same boat.  I was told the same thing but had the same problem.   There was one surgeon in TN that did the DS but unfortunately he wasn't in my insurance so I couldn't use him.

Good luck to you too!

Cherri
cpinck
on 2/3/10 11:58 pm - Henderson, KY

Thanks everyone for replying to my post!!  It means alot.  I have alot of reading to do with the links that some of you gave me.  I don't feel quite so alone in this.  Most forums that I have posted on either didn't respond or responded with all negativity to scare me.  I know that this is no walk in the park, but it can't be ALL negative.  I do feel like I am in good hands with Dr. Husted and that is one very important thing, to feel confident about your surgeon, and I DO.

If I have more questions after reading the links, I will ask.  :)

Good luck to everyone and thanks again.

Cherri

Most Active