questions about the stomaphyx

Topazblk
on 2/2/10 2:38 am - GA

Does anyone have a list of doctors to refer that perform the stomaphyx?

Does insurance cover the procedure?

has anyone actually had the procedure done?

If so how is it going?

Does anyone have or know about an estimated cost o the procedure?

Thanks
Michele

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/10 9:37 am, edited 2/2/10 9:42 am - Bayonne, NJ
Insurance doesn't cover it because it doesn't work. The ONLY people who ever seem to have anything positive to say about it are the shills. If you go back through the posts on this board, there are lots from people who got it, lost weight while on the liquid diet, and then put the weight right back on. It does nothing.

Here's a typical thread http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3900584/StompahyX-Patients/

Topazblk
on 2/11/10 4:35 am - GA

Thank you so much for this information. I will call my surgeon and discuss his recommendations.

I appreciate your feedback.

jaxmom
on 2/4/10 6:36 am
Hi Michele,

Here's my 2 cents. I went to my surgeon inquiring about the stomaphyx. my insurance plan covers it, actually. After getting the Upper GI and Endoscopy in the hospital, so they could see what was going on, they met with me. They really tried to veer me away from the Stomaphyx. I was so frustrated with their recommendation of a band-over-bypass, I went to New York City to one of the top bariatric surgeons. Even though I loved my previous surgeon, I was stubborn. Before meeting with him, I started reading about the Duodenal Switch. Eat whatever I want and lose weight? Sign me up! The surgeon in NYC performs that surgery so I had my mind made up.....

I went for my consultation and he was so kind! He said to me:
1) "Because you had marginal ulcers and complications from the RNY and have a young family, I will not perforn the DS on you. It is a complicated 4 part procedure and you are not a good candidate...."

2) I asked what he thought of the Stomaphyx and he said "It does not work. It is great in theory only and any it is criminal that any surgeon would accept cash from a patient for this procedure."

3) "if you were my sister, I would recommend the Band-Over-Bypass. In terms, of statistics, success and health risks, this is the route I would recommend."

Having heard that from this surgeon, I ran back to my original surgeon. He met with me on 2 more occasions. I am now scheduled for the band-over-bypass next month. Basically, there is no more chance for me with the malabsorption, but I will have restriction forever! If I feel pounds creeping back 10 years from now, I go in an get a fill. From what I hear and have read about the Stomaphyx, there is nothing very promising (and no long-term data)- I have read of some who had it 2 times expecting it to finally work and then going another route when it disappointed them...

I am so sorry to write this. I usually do not like to write anything negative and I certainly cannot speak from personal experience on this matter other than what 2 very well respected bariatric surgeons have told me (and from these message boards). I remember how excited I was when I read about the Stomaphyx and felt like I had this amazing opportunity at getting my tool back. I was so let down when I learned otherwise, so I feel badly writing this.

I would recommend making an appointment with your surgeon. I was so embarrassed to go back- I felt ashamed. I now feel so empowered and wish I would have gone sooner. They really helped me to put things in perspective and come up with the appropriate plan for me. Really, no one else in a position to tell you what is best for you, other than you and your surgeon, collaboratively.

I wish you only good things in this journey : )
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

reenieb
on 2/5/10 4:17 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
"... it is criminal that any surgeon would accept cash from a patient for this procedure."

This is absolutely unequivically the most truthful statement I have seen on these Boards since I joined in 2003!

Jaxmom, I wish you all the best with your revision - I just don't want a band... I'm so afraid of the port and the thing corroding inside me - but I need to seek a revision and I just don't know what to do. Best of luck to you - I LOVE your posts! Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
jaxmom
on 2/5/10 8:02 am
reenieb
on 2/5/10 4:13 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Don't do it. You'd be better off flushing your money down the toilet...
reenieb
on 2/5/10 4:18 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
I call it Stomaphail ...
gwease
on 2/16/10 1:02 am
dr gary wease here from michigan.  some insurance covers it if coded for dumping syndrome.  it really works well if done appropriately. go to endogastric solutions web site for a doctor list i charge 4000 cash if insurance won't cover it.
Most Active