Revision Question

Michaelle H.
on 1/30/10 2:39 pm - Puyallup, WA
I will start my question out with some history about me and my surgeries, yes surgeries. I had my original RNY 12/04 lost 130lbs which was awesome.  I then started having pain that the Dr could figure out where it was coming from. We did a exploritory in 07.

Then all hell broke loose, my ulcer perferated and developed an intestinal fistula.
Dr. alperovich sent me to the OR to remove the rest of my stomach and repair the perferation. In the operating room my spleen didn't stop bleeding and had to be removed.
I spent a week in ICU and came home 1 1/2 weeks after surgery.

Since the time of the Intestinal Fistula until now I have GAINED back 90#. I have gone back to my surgeon and he says he doesn't think doing a revision to DS is going to do any good.
I am currenty 200 cm proximal.

My question is, has anyone ever heard that a DS didn't make the patient lose weight?
Right now I am trying despretly to follow Vitalady's all protein regemain to lose it but it seems I'm destined to be FAT again.

Any help is very appriciated.

Michaelle H
Puyallup
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/30/10 4:19 pm
Your surgeon will not recommend what he doesn't do. It's like going to the Ford dealer and asking them to recommend a Mercedes. He's not going to send away a paying customer.

That said, revisions are riskier than a virgin surgery, and your history may provide a few extra challenges. If the rest of your stomach has been removed, can you actually be revised to the DS? Your last surgeon may have already made that choice for you, but you need a qualified surgeon to do that, and I'm not sure the one you've had is that guy.

There are only a handful of surgeons qualified to do a DS revision, and NONE of them are in WA. The closest would likely be in CA, and there are several great choices there.

Get an opinion from a surgeon that knows all surgery types, and most importantly can do DS revisions. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time of this. I hope you find a solution soon.
Debbie M.
on 1/30/10 10:18 pm
I second what Bearmom says - all great advice.  Just wanted to add that I'm sorry you'v had such a rough time of it and I would really encourage you to find a good revision DS surgeon. You might want to start with Rabkin in San Francisco or Keshishian in Glendale - both excellent revision surgeons.
Most Active