I had a RNY revision on 11/19/2009 and I have already hit a plateau! Any suggestions?

sassy2ndtime
on 1/27/10 4:17 pm

Hi group,

I am a bit over 2 months out from my revision. I have lost 30 pounds (24 in the first month and 6 in the second month).

I have 60 pounds left to get to my goal weight and I would love to lose about a pound a week.

I am drinking my water, eating/drinking between 80-110 grams of protein a day, and I just started exercising (I signed up for an ice skating lesson and will be skating 2x a week and working out 2 more times a week).

My first surgery I lost 35 in the first month, 100 in 6 months, and was down 175 in 18 months.

I know the first 18 months are the main phase of losing and knew I would lose slower than before but I am kind of frustrated because I feel I have already hit a plateau.

The weird thing with the revision is that THERE IS NO DUMPING! So, the chocolate monster has come out in full force. I am allowing myself a couple of small pieces per day but I haven't needed or had sugar for a couple of years so it is kind of weird. I am still throwing up if I eat any vegetables but I have more of an appetite than the first time. Other than a few bites of chocolate, I am eating NO WHITE SUGAR and NO WHITE FLOUR AT ALL.

Is it realistic to hope for approximately 1 pound of weight loss per week for the next year if I'm exercising or is the revision surgery more hype than reality? 

I just want to get to my goal finally and I'm a little scared about not making it.   

Anybody out there have any personal success stories?

Is there a resource comparing weight loss for original RNY surgery vs. the revision?

Please help! This time around I am not fantasizing about being in a bikini...I just want to get to my healthy weight (even my goal is 50 pounds over the "normal" weight chart but my surgeon thinks I can get there).

Thanks and blessings,

Lorie2
on 1/28/10 12:16 am
What kind of revision to your rny did you have? I had a revision from rny to erny. I am down about 63 pounds in 11 months so far.

Lori
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/10 2:07 pm - San Diego, CA
What type of revision did you have, Sassy?  I had a band-over-bypass revision in May 2009 and it took me 8 months to lose 65 lbs.
missnanajean
on 1/30/10 12:14 pm - Friendswood, TX
A couple things: Check your protein and salt intake. If you aren't taking enough in your body holds onto what you give it and salt will keep you  with water weight.  I've found if the calories are lower on a product they make up for it by putting more sodium in it, BAD! Also take your clothes off. I had surgery 11/5/09 and was discouraged when I hit a plateu but when I took my clothes off I saw wrinkles and dents I hadn't seen before. I tried on smaller sizes and they fit I even bypassed a size. Then in a couple weeks I peed and Bm'd all day and the next day I lost 5 #. My Dr. told me to be patient as the fat goes so then will the fluid. Oh ,check the toliet too. If I wasn't seeing loss on the scale I saw the fat in the toliet so give your body a chance to catch up. We didn't gain the weight over night so it won't come off overnite. My friends have told me a slower pace is better so we don't get so flabby. Hang in there, Rome wasn't built in an day and our bodies won't be reshaped in a day. We'll get there in time one step at a time.Also at a conference they said revision surgery the wt loss is slower. To calculate ideal wt by ht. is for the first 5ft. 100# and 5# for every inch above that. That said I should weigh 105#. No way I don't want to look sick so have set a goal for 140-150# and then we'll go from there. Good Luck!!
  Miss  Jean   
(deactivated member)
on 2/1/10 2:25 am - San Diego, CA
Question, if you don't mind me asking - what do you mean by "I saw the fat in the toilet?"
missnanajean
on 2/1/10 5:55 am - Friendswood, TX
If you look as you lose weight and have looser stool you can see the oily fatty stool floating on the surface of the water. I know it's fat because I'm a nurse and care for kids with disorders that they also have fatty stools.
  Miss  Jean   
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/10 2:39 am - San Diego, CA
Oh, I have definitely seen that going on in the toilet.  Thanks for the answer! :)
Most Active