Anyone had a revision without weight regain/

aphephobicfriend
on 1/28/10 1:51 pm - Ocala, FL
hey y'all

I've had a bumpy road, surgically speaking, and I'm frustrated to no end that I'm even considering this but I am. I had a band, it turned into a terrible erosion shortly thereafter and they did an emergency removal and sorta converted it into a vsg. i say sorta because my surgeon didn't usually do vsg and the hole in my stomach was really large, so it ended up looking pretty weird... like a c instead of a straight slim tube. anyway, i can eat a ton. like, 3-4 times what other sleevsters can eat, even those who had surgery before me. almost no one would have an idea i had surgery at all by the way that i eat, except that i always stay away from liquids [not because i have to, i can eat and drink if i want to, i just try to follow the rules]. anyway, i'm still 180 lbs, which is hardly a problem, but the thing is- i work so so so hard to stay that way. i'm always hungry, i'm calorie counting and i've cut out all sorts of foods and i work out with weights 5-7 times a week and run 2-3 miles 2-3 times per week. I'm becoming absolutely obsessive about it, and honestly, also quite miserable. it sucks to be so hungry, and so scared. i saw a surgeon, and he said, no weight- no problem. so i'm wondering if i really have to spiral out of control to get any help. any thoughts/
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/10 11:00 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I had a revision even though I kept off 120 lbs. or so. I had a ring on my stoma that prevented me from eating solid food. It was put in as part of my RNY, to prevent overeating, but it kept me from getting in my meat protein sources.

I was still overweight but not fat, able to wear misses sizes and not plus sizes, but the thing was driving me crazy and causing esophageal erosion. So, I revised. I went with the DS so that I could eat more normally in the long run.

I have eaten more chicken and beef in the last two weeks than I have in the last 6 years.
Journey O.
on 1/29/10 12:07 am

I had a revision 1/12/10 (band over bypass) with a fairly low BMI (>30).  I did this to be proactive because it was such a huge struggle every day to keep the weight off and I had put 45lbs back on about a year ago (took it off with strict dieting).  Very VERY glad I did this and so far so good.

I chose to go to MX as a self pay as most surgeons in the US will only perform WLS if you have a BMI of 35 with severe comorbidites.  The BMI requirement in MX is 30 and for whatever reason, right before surgery the weight kept falling off.  I really had to work to be at 30 -- go figure "gain weight to have WLS".

Anyway, long story short(er), US surgeons all said no way and I didn't want to have to gain the weight back, suffer from disease again, etc. etc. and took matters into my own hands.

I look forward to hitting maintenance and for the 1st time in my life not feeling like I have "some weight to lose".  For me, I absolutely believe this was the right decision to make.  I personally needed that additional tool to ensure I did not become obese again.

I loved what Dr. Zapata said, "Obesity is like diabetes, we cannot cure it, only control it."

Jackie

Revision: 1/12/2010-Dr. Zapata;  (338 RNY) HW 245/SW 215/CW 193 / GW 170
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." ~Nietzsche~

ricki
on 1/29/10 10:22 pm

Yes, I had a revision from RNY to DS in 06 and got to goal in one year.  I've stayed the same weight for over 2.5 years.  You can't imagine how great it is to just grab something out of your closet and even though you haven't worn it since last year, it still fits. 

aphephobicfriend
on 1/30/10 12:48 am - Ocala, FL
thanks y'all for the insights
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
ricki
on 1/30/10 9:02 pm
Dr. Stewart in Denton is the most experienced revision RNY to DS surgeon in TX.  I've heard Dr. Eric Wilson now does the DS but isn't an experienced revision surgeon.  For me, I'd go to Stewart.  go to DSFACTS.COM.
Most Active