not sure what to do next...

Rebecca G.
on 1/26/10 4:35 am - New Bern, NC
I had decided on a reversal basically, just getting my stomach back to the way it was before surgery because I am so deficent on my protein ad vitamins now I would have to walk around with another picc line or start getting various injections and I don't want to live like that. I don't want to live this way anymore. I am very happy with my weight loss but I am done losing and at this point I feel I can safely keep my weight down.

My problem now is my insurance got cancelled. I can't afford insurance and I can't afford vitamins. There are too many and they are too expensive. I have no job now and no income coming in to pay for all this. How can I get my reversal now? Is it possible? I don't want to end up in the hospital sick, but honestly that is how I feel I will end up.
JROLFSON
on 1/26/10 6:15 am - St. George, UT
Hi Becky:

I read somewhere that you had a Distal RNYGB. If that is true you wouldn't necessarily have to go through a complete reversal you could just have a surgeon lengthen your common channel which would control your deficiencies and potty issues...

With the RNY Pouch you should still have restriction that would help you to maintain your weightloss.

Good Luck Girl.

Janie
Deanne K.
on 1/26/10 7:44 am - Tucson, AZ
Contact your surgeon's office.  Bariatric Advantage has a program for patients who are not able to afford their vitamins due to job loss.  They have to put a request in for you, but I know of quite a few people who have gotten on this program.  It's worth checking it out.  You can find some of the information on their website.
Lorie2
on 1/27/10 12:55 am
I had a second revision. I also had many issues like yourself. I had my common channel lengthend beacause I could not go on living with a picc line and deficiencies. I will stil be able to keep my weight off and I also lost ten more pounds since surgery. I'm so happy I did it. Most of my issues are better and waitin on taking my labs in Feb. Call your doc and tell them your situation they should be able to help you get some help since you lost your job.

Lori
Rebecca G.
on 2/1/10 6:02 am - New Bern, NC
when you get your common channel lengthened, do you still have to take all the vitamins and tons of protein? i was told by my surgeon that i get no nutrients at all from food, that is my worry. i'm scared that even if i do get my common channel lengthened i still won't get anything from food and i will end up the same as i am now relying on handfulls of vitamins at a time.
Lorie2
on 2/1/10 6:38 am

Once  your common channel is lengthend, your body will eventually absorb more vitamins and protein as well. My doctor put me on an enzyme pill that helps with the protein absorption. also you won't need to take as many vitamins as before. I am still in an early stage but I am on a  lot less vitamins right now . they will retest me in Feb to see if I'm getting enough. as you get farther out, you will absorb more vitamins and won't need to take as many.
Lori

Rebecca G.
on 2/2/10 3:11 am - New Bern, NC
I just wish I had isurance. I can't afford it out of pocket and with the problems I am having I am starting to get worries, as are all the people around me. My boyfriend said just get it reversed so I have no defencies at all and o worries, but I told him the regain is most if not all the weight you lost and in some cases more. I am worried because even now I eat when I am bored and I find myself sacking. If I change it and get the lap band instead, not in addition, I will still be able to eat less but get the vitamins and nutrients. I have heard about band slippage and stuff though too, there are pro's and con's about it all though. I am just afraid of gaining weight back and yes, I can just diet and exercise right off the bat, but I don't do it now, so in reality I doubt I will do it then either. I would prefer to just get the lap band, it can be filled and let out to what I need. I don't want the DS I know, it just seems like more surgery and still the same problem, just less. I will still have to do vitamins and protein, and that is the whole reason I want the revision in the first place so I only have to take maybe 1 or 2 vitamins or none. I just keep thinking at 4 1/2 years out, I should be getting nutrients from food by now and I am not, I just look sick. It sucks to have people ask me if I have cancer because my hair is so thin and I am so bony and pale. I'm just sick of it. It frusterates me though because whatever the decision I make, I can't do anything about it because I don't have isurance and I don't have enough to pay oop.
Lorie2
on 2/2/10 3:28 am
Deanne K said Bariatric Advantage has some help out there for people without insurance. Look at their website and make a phone call. What about insurance from your county. We have what is called Badger Care for people with out insurance. If your are that bad you should get something done. Your hair is thin because you are malnourished. I had that also. Maybe if things get that bad they'll have to do the surgery. Sometimes they just write it off for people who can't pay. I really feel for you. I take vitamins daily and its not that bad. I don't have to take so many because I had my common channel lenghthend. My hair is coming back thicker and I feel stronger and my color is back and I look better too. It's so worth it. I hope you do some research and make calls to get help. Welfare or not... you need it!! Thats what its there for. Call for some help thru your county, talk to you doctor and get thru to them ( you are sick,malnourished from malabsorption) Call Bariatric Advantage see Deanne K response. I hate to say it but you need it for health reasons, you need it. Make payments and if it don't work,you might have to file bankruptcy, but you will be living a normal life again. Keep in touch and if you need to talk, I will pm my phone number to you.

Lori
Rebecca G.
on 1/27/10 9:06 am - New Bern, NC
My whole thing really is I want to be able to get my vitamins and protein from food again. I don't want to take so many vitamins everyday all through the day anymore. If I do lengthen the common channel will I still have to do vitamins and protein all the time?
Most Active