Does Insurance cover Revision, and if so how much do they pay?

Sunshine16
on 1/26/10 8:33 am

Hey everyone, I was just curious do insurance company pay for revisions?  I have united healthcare, do they cover a revision how much do they pay?

Summerbabies
on 1/26/10 11:40 am
Working in the health care field I can tell you that every insurance company as well as every insurance plan is different. Three people could all have United but their employers pay into different levels of the plan within the same system for their employees. So, while, they may all have United, a person who works for Company A may have their surgery covered completely, another who works for company B with United insurance may have to pay a copay of 40% or more and even another who works for company C may belong to a plan that will not cover bariatric surgery at all. Every company and every plan truly is different. All you have to do to start your inquiry is to call the 1-800 number on the back of your insurance card and ask if your plan covers the procedure. You may need to call the surgeons office and ask them the procedure code to give the insurance company so they can check your plan. Sorry this is so long, and I hope I am making sense.
Sunshine16
on 1/26/10 9:50 pm
Thank you, it was very helpful.  I do as you suggested.

Thanks Again!
dmwilson
on 1/27/10 1:49 am - tucson, AZ
I had my revision from RNY to ERNY in October 09, I have United  through my employer and they paid 100% of my revision surgery.
Sunshine16
on 1/27/10 3:49 am
Was this the same company who gave you your procedure at first? 
dmwilson
on 1/27/10 5:10 am - tucson, AZ
Yes, they also paid 100% for my panni removal had no problems with UHC.
mrdoores
on 1/27/10 7:29 am - Waldorf, MD
Hi, I am also seeking revision to ERNY.  How is your weight loss doing?  Are you losing slowly and have you had any stalls yet?  I know I am asking a lot, but I everyone is different,  just curious  how you are doing.   Have you had any trouble with any foods?  Thanks for any information you can give me.
Marianna

dmwilson
on 1/27/10 9:54 am - tucson, AZ
Hi Marianna, my weight loss is not as fast as the first time but I am really glad I made this decision. I had gained 60 pounds out of the 130 that I had lost but now I am down 42 pds. in three months. I have not hit a plateau yet but as long as it's comming off I am happy. Eating is all like it was the first time around some things I can tolerate better than others, my restriction in my stomach works again since surgery, I had very minimal restriction before revision. Hope I was able to answer your questions.
Good Luck Diane

mrdoores
on 1/28/10 9:21 am - Waldorf, MD
Hi Diane,
good luck  with the weight loss, i am in the process of appeal ith the insurance company(bcbs).  The first time around there was no hassel, I was approved in 1 week but no so lucky this time.  My doctor suggested the distal rny last year and things just seem to drag on.  Thanks for the answers.  I still have some  restriction just manage to eat all the wrong things.  Again, thanks for the answers.

Marianna
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/10 11:02 pm - Bayonne, NJ
BCBS covered my RNY 100% and covered my DS revision 6.5 years later. I am happy.
Most Active