Desiring a RNY to a DS Revision

Summerbabies
on 1/25/10 9:00 am
I am looking into a revision from a RNY to a DS. I know now that is what I should have had to begin with; however, that was not an option of my insurance company. I don't know if a revision is either, but I can't go on like this. The weight came off for eight months then stopped. I went from 330 to 220 and never lower. Now I am back over 250 and climbing. All my other health problems plus some are coming back. I still choke on meat and have to vomit if I try to eat a piece of pizza crust. I dump if I eat sweets. I have become a person who drinks with meals and eats slider foods just to feel "good" when I eat. I have  to meet with my new surgeons dietitian to see if I am a candidate for a revision. Do you all think I will be disqualified because of my eating habits? Does this seem like a reason for a revision to be done? Do they reattach the stomach so you can eat normally again? Any answers will be appreciated!
Debbie M.
on 1/25/10 8:20 pm

Hi,
I understand how you feel, I went through something similar.  I had an RNY in 2002, lost 175lbs then months later started gaining again. While I wasn't eating  bunch of bad food, something sure wasn't going right.  My body hangs on to every morsel, calorie and piece of fat that enters into my system.

I'm having RNY-DS surgery on Feb. 9th because I'm also tired of living like this. So yes, it can be done, they'll take down your pouch, put things back to "normal" then start with the DS procedure and at the end you won't have dumping syndrome any longer.  There are very few really experienced RNY to DS Surgeons so it's important you choose wisely.  Some insurances do cover it, others do not, you'll have to check your policy.  Have you read www.dsfacts.com and duodenalswitch.com, both great sources of information.
Debbie M.

Summerbabies
on 1/27/10 10:55 am
Debbie, Thanks for all the info and Good luck with your surgery! You must be getting so excited it is getting so close! I pray everything goes well and you are out of the hospital quickly on your way to a speedy recovery!
CHYNADOLL2603
on 1/27/10 10:29 am - NY
Revision on 03/29/10 with
Summerbabies,

I understand exactly what you are talking about. While reading your post it seems like we had
the exact same issues. I have a consultation with a surgeon on 2/10 I have heard that he is pro
band because he himself had the Lap band done but I dont want the Lap Band and down the
road regret that I never got the DS. I have never reached goal and I just dont want to be
disappointed with another procedure. I havent gained much weight back but I never really lost much either, however recently all the health issues that I thought were previously resolved came right back plus more.
shele
on 1/27/10 10:49 am

I would encourage you both to seek out a surgeon who can do the ds revision. Don't let them talk you  into a distal or an erny .

good Luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Summerbabies
on 1/27/10 10:59 am
I hope you too find a doctor that will listen to you and do what is best for you, not what he desires. I am in the process of doing my research and there seems to be so few revision surgeons *****do all your anatomy. The closest surgery centers to me are Pittsburgh, PA and I know they have great surgeons. Unfortunately, none of them are in my insurance network. Does anyone know what a revision costs for a self-pay?
Again, thanks to everyone for their answers.
Zee Starrlite
on 1/27/10 11:51 pm, edited 1/27/10 11:53 pm

Will you be seeing Dr. Fielding?  Yep, they are pro Band there BUT you know you.   Fielding, Ren, and Kurian all do the DS.  I DO NOT think they do the RNY to DS revision.  If that is what you are looking for, you need to find someone with that expertise.  There are experts are out there, do not accept anything less than someone who routinely does these revisions successfully.    Go onto this forum and ask http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/

There is a lot of work involved with the band.  You will get no free pounds lost.  It is pure work every single day just like non weight loss surgery patients who lose weight and struggle to keep it off by watching what you eat and exercise.  The band helps with portion sized and for me Quiets my hunger so that I am manageable.   So it is just like with your  RNY now - can you watch what you eat and exercise?  If not, do yourself a favor and go for a more malabsortive procedure  . . . . if you decide not to revise at all, you too can join something like Weigh****chers to keep you accountable with weigh-ins, support meetings, journaling etc.  WW keeps me sane and I love my Lap Band.  For me, it is the perfect combination.

Good Luck,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active