Band Revision-Hiatal Hernia

nallen
on 1/22/10 3:10 am - baytown, TX
Hello,

Has anyone had this done?  How did your revision go?  Did you revise to Gastric Bypass? or did you stay with the band?  Please help... kinda confused and scared.
Ara Keshishian
on 1/22/10 1:27 pm - Glendale, CA
Hello,
I am assuming that you have a symptomatic Hiatal Hernia, with reflux, etc.

The safest thing is to remove the band, repair the hiatal hernia and revise to another operation.
Gastric bypass not my first choice. I am in favor of the duodenal switch. Do your research.

Te reason for removing the Band is that if you fill the band to loose weight, you make the reflux worse, which could damage your esophagus. It is why you want an operation that does not result in any significant restriction.

Thanks
Ara

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

jan R.
on 1/22/10 10:41 pm - PA
I understand you being scared!  I was to and I had only 2 weeks to make the decision because my band cause my hiatal  hernia to be soo bad I could barely get anything down.
I decided on the sleeve procedure since I did not want the complications of bypass!  Though I have had some troubles since my sleeve they are telling me it is related to my crohn's disease or I was just tested for celiac disease.
I have lost another 40 lbs since having my revision 9/30/09.  I was happy with where I was at after losing 200 lbs with my band, but the sleeve took me way below where I ever expected to be.  I had settled on never being a normal BMI and my docs were happy.  Then the sleeve and my doc is now so excited he wants me to come talk to a few of his other patients......
Good luck in your decisions.....go the the different surgical boards also for some advice....
jan
redneckgirl43
on 1/23/10 11:51 am, edited 1/23/10 11:59 am - Yukon, OK
RNY on 03/07/11 with
I am 7 days post op from having my lap band removed and thought I would be having HHernia repair & sleeve. Luckily for me the HH wasn't found but the Dr was unable to procede on with the Sleeve for now. I have to wait 6-8 months for my stomach to heal - band was starting to erode and I had lots of scar tissue. I went nearly 1.5 yrs with my band being slipped and dealing with reflux. I wish I had not waited so long and would possibly be sitting here post-sleeve.

RNY revision 3/7/11, Dr. Joya, CW 175, SW 280, HW 302  Lapband placed 1/7/2006 - Lapband removed 1/14/2010;

emjayel56
on 1/25/10 8:36 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
I had a band put in 9 years ago.  After a few years it stopped working and I was found to have a hiatel hernia.  Apparently the hiatel hernia interferes with the operation of the band.  I had a 2nd surgery to repair hiatel hernia.  The band was in tact and not touched.  A few years later the band slipped and in February 2009 I had the band removed and opted for a 2nd band.  A few months later that band slipped and finally in August 2009 I revised to a gastric bypass.  I am very happy with the RNY.  All the symptoms I had with the band have disappeared and i lost more weight in the 5 months with the bypass than 9 years with the bands.  Good luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to ask.  Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/10 8:28 am
I have lap band (2003) and have a severe hiatal hernia. I am considering DS or RNY.
I have been doing considerable researc and this board has been invaluable.

I am looking forward to the day (hopefully soon) where I do not vomit every day, and do not wake in the middle of the night because my esophagus is on fire.

Good luck to you.

Donna 

nallen
on 2/1/10 1:45 pm - baytown, TX
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.  I see my surgeon in a few weeks, and I will see what he says at that time, keep the responses coming... Thanks for all your help!
Most Active