have anyone heard of the weight loss ring surgery!

mskay
on 1/21/10 8:32 am - chicago, IL
medicaid dont cover lapband at uic in illinois so they only perform gastric sleeve,and the bypass.since im getting a revision and he knows what i want. he suggested he can put a ring around my stomach. i asked if you can remove it after i lose all the weight i wanted he said no.im praying this is like the lap band. where i can get it adjusted at least if im yo yo with my weight after its done. but let me know if anyone ever heard of this because i think i heard of it ten years ago. but it was a procedure done in one hour.
(deactivated member)
on 1/23/10 11:08 am - San Diego, CA
Sounds like it might be a "fobi-pouch" where they place a NON-adjustable band around your RNY pouch to create restriction.  But again, this is non-adjustable through fills and I am not at all familiar with the procedure.  If indeed this is the same thing, there is a separate forum specifically for fobi-pouches under "Forums/Surgical Forums/Fobi-Pouch Gastric Bypass Forum." I have a B.O.B. which is an adjustable lap-band over my bypass and I love it!  I sure hope that is what you are getting, girl (fingers crossed for you).

If not then I do not know what the procedure could be...but BEST of luck to you in any event! :)

pokerchips
on 1/24/10 5:41 am

I had my original RNY in 2001 (only lost 40lbs with lots of effort)  in 2009 I had a revision with a very experienced WL surgeon. Yhe plan was to bypass me further and put a silastic ring on my pouch.  He did bypass me further however I had too much scar tissue for the ring.  From the 2nd month of my original surgery (by an inexperienced WLS surgeon) it was obvious that my food did not stay in the pouch very long it just went straight through therefore the 2nd surgeon thought the ring would help but he was unable to put it on.

I wish you well if you are able to get the ring I understand it can produce good results, check out the fobi forum you might find additional info on the silastic ring.

I wish you well.

Change is a Process Not an Event

mskay
on 1/26/10 4:05 am - chicago, IL
thank you so much i had my bypass ten years ago. i lost 150lbs now im seeking a revision ive gained about 50lbs since then. so im prayng this is the last time i have to undergo any weight loss surgery in my live because i had an open surgery and this will be done the same way (open) and it wasnt easy.
(deactivated member)
on 1/27/10 3:51 am - San Diego, CA
My revision surgery was open too as well as my original RNY.  It is NOT an easy recovery so I totally understand your concerns.  Best of luck to you and holler at me if you need additional support, okay?

(((HUGS)))

Betsy C.
on 1/27/10 4:54 am - Efland, NC
 Did insurance pay for your revision surgery?  Why did you have to have it "open"?

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

mskay
on 1/27/10 10:20 am - chicago, IL
i havent had it yet im going through the procedures to get insurance approval. with the visits of nutrition,blood test and other stuff.i might get it in april i pray but yes i have state medicaid insurance it covers it. i had my original bypass open so thats how he will do the revision.( i hate that part though)
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/10 12:16 pm - San Diego, CA
No, I was self-pay.  My surgeon initiated the procedure laparascopically but once he was in there, he discovered there was too much scar tissue around my pouch from the RNY to proceed.  So. he converted to open, removed the scar tissue (nearly a pound!) and completed my lap-band over bypass revision.  I was forewarned of this possibility going into surgery.

My initial RNY I opted for the open procedure as I was self-pay and it was $5,000 cheaper.
mskay
on 3/27/10 2:49 pm - chicago, IL
im getting closer to my approval date as soon as this nutritionist past me through in april. how many days were you in the hospital afterwards. and did u have to do a liquid diet before and after surgery. and how fast will the weight start coming off because my surgeon told me that i will lose 80 in the next year or i might not lose anythg.
Most Active