Revision approved!

ccrider
on 1/22/10 9:34 am

I am so excited!  I received great news from my Nurse Case Manager that my revision from a failed Sleeve to an RNY has been approved!  My Nurse case manager is the best! I am also thankful for such a quick acting insurance company.  I am just so happy I wanted to share. My thoughts and prayers to all of you waiting for your approvals.   

Murt
on 1/23/10 3:45 am - Thornton, CO
Congratulations on your approval.  Hope everything goes well with your upcoming surgery.

Myspace LayoutsMyspace Text Generator, Myspace GraphicsMyspace BackgroundsMyspace CodesMyspace Codesmyspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

ccrider
on 1/23/10 7:00 am
Thank you so much!  The next step is the surgery date.  I will be on pins and needles till then!

shele
on 1/23/10 8:05 pm

Why would you get an rny? Have you seen the long term stats? If you are knowledgeable and know what you are getting in to ... I say good luck!!  If you are revising using your surgeons available surgical options,,, please do some more research!!!

Best wishes for you!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

ccrider
on 1/23/10 10:53 pm
I had a sleeve 2 years ago and that was surely a poor choice for me.  The surgeon I had at the time would not do a band because of my diabetes. He also did not do RNY's and I learned later why.  He has since left the country. I am a nurse and I have read about all the options.  I have discussed the DS with my surgeon and we made the decision together for the RNY.  Sleeve's are great for some people as RNY's are great for some people etc.  What do you suggest?  I would be interested in the decision you made and why.  Did your stats come from journals or just articles?  Thank you for your input.

shele
on 1/24/10 2:42 am

I would give anything to have had the knowledge that I do now regarding the ds.  I had the rny, and then a revision to erny.  I would like the benefit of having a sleeve with the pyloric valve intact.  I have had ulcers,, and my stoma stretched out allowing my food to not stay with me very long.  I now have a common channel similar to a ds 0f 120.  I have a very hard time getting in enough protein.  I still can't eat grilled chicken or steak.  Ground beef is the only beef I can eat without getting sick.

I am just really passionate about people making sure they know what all is available to them, and how their eating style will fit with the new surgery type,  Not saying that some modification will not be necessary, as it is with all surgeries, the ds just is the most forgiving. 

Since I have the malabsorption that I do now, I can eat a lot better than with just the rny.  As I said above, I can't eat chicken or steak, With malabsorption, I can add fat to help the dense foods not hurt my pouch, and not gain from it.  With the rny, with not being able to eat dense protein, I fell into the soft calorie syndrome, I gained weight on mozz cheese sticks and whole wheat crackers!

I wish you all the best and just wondered why you would get a pouch when you have a more normal functioning stomach with the sleeve.

I wanted the ds, but my surgeon said I would get the same results with the erny.  I am still loosing, but it is very slow! ( stopped for 3 months)

dsfacts.com is a good place to start.  Just don't want to see you do something you might regret.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

ccrider
on 1/24/10 3:05 am
I really appreciate your information.  My EGD showed that my sleeve was now the size of a normal stomach.  It's like I never had the first surgery.  I will take your suggestion and read a little bit further on outcomes for each procedure.  Having a revision is scary enough.  More leaks etc.  Once again Thanks! :-)

Renfairewench
on 1/24/10 8:02 am
If you revised to a DS your surgeon would likely resize your sleeve to something smaller. Then he would complete the DS by giving you malabsorption. A DS has better excess weight loss than an RNY. Personally I would not go with the RNY revision. You're basically 1/2 way to the DS now. Little do doctors tell you, but many RNYers (many does not equal all) start gaining weight around year 4 or 5 and many gain quite a lot of weight. If you don't want to be back revising to a DS six years from you might want to look into DS with a more discerning eye. Your sleeve can be resized and you'd get additional benefit with the malabsorption. The one thing you need to find though is a good revision doctor.

I had a distal RNY (more commonly known now as an ENRY). I started at 430 pounds and lost to 210 and that was all. I never got below 200. About four years after my RNY I started gaining some weight, but no matter what I did diet wise I continued to gain weight. Eventually I ended up at 302 and that was not acceptable to me. I looked into ROSE, a choke collar, but it was a friend of mine who said I should revise to a DS. I did and have lost 84 pounds so far.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

StacysMom
on 1/24/10 12:03 pm, edited 1/24/10 6:03 pm
 Does your surgeon actually perform the DS surgery?   If not, that would explain why you and he chose the RNY "together".   IMHO, if the sleeve didn't work for you, the RNY will fail you too.  You will lose weight initially, then when your stoma stretches out, you will gain it back and be looking for a revision to the DS (like everyone else) and it will be nearly impossible to find a surgeon to do it because you've cut your stomach up into the RNY pouch and it's a riskier surgery to reconstruct the stomach and re-make the sleeve.   

I've read quite a bit on here about sleeve patients being "revised" to the RNY.   (Downgraded, in my opinion!)   I'm positive that the surgeons doing it are all surgeons who DO NOT perform the DS.   No real  DS surgeon would do that to anybody.   
Most Active