SLEEVE TO DS ANYONE?

sweetsuzy
on 1/22/10 12:38 am - Defiance, OH
Has anyone had a revision from vsg to a ds? If so how are you doing? any details welcome! thanx!! suzy
liveinphx
on 1/22/10 11:44 pm - Phoenix, AZ
You may want to consider posting this on the DS page you might get more answers.
Help me understand what is going on and why you want to "revise" from sleeve to the DS?
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
sweetsuzy
on 1/23/10 1:47 am - Defiance, OH
hi, I was wondering if anyone had the second part of the sleeve which would be the ds,as I never lost much weight with sleeve alone.I origanaly lost 40 pounds at first then had to have knee surgery so couldn't exercise(walk)Then hubby had emergency surgery(almost lost him),then my mom passed away,followed by stepdad.so I have had tons of sress and just went back to old habits of comforting/eating.I am not sure if I can get it working again or should get the second part. I did post on ds board but they told me to ask here, thanks. suzy
liveinphx
on 1/23/10 2:56 am - Phoenix, AZ
Help me understand why you think the DS will help? If the issue is comfort/stress eating it might be in your best interest to address that and find a different way to cope with those stressors. My understanding is the DS is more forgiving when it comes to making poor choices but even with the DS you will HAVE to make better choices to  be successful.
I am sorry for all the stressors and tribulations you have endured.
I lost 135 lbs with the sleeve in about 10 mos an most folks on the sleeve board also have been very successful with initial loss.
I am also not sure what you want/need "to get working again". I believe with the DS you will have the sleeve but malabsorbtion is added with the switch part. My understanding is it allows you to consume a large amount of fats but you will still have to be mindful of carbs.
I guess teh basic question is still what do you hope to "gain" (the pun is intentional) by having the second part.
You may also want to consider spending some time on the sleeve board so get some ideas on how to work your tool more successfully.
sweetsuzy
on 1/23/10 4:43 am - Defiance, OH
I guess what I want to know is can I still make the sleeve work for me or have i ruined my tool? I see so many who  have done so fantastic  losing weight and I  wonder if  it isnt too late for me or do I need the malabsorbtion to suceed in losing.
liveinphx
on 1/23/10 9:34 am - Phoenix, AZ
I am not sure what answer you are looking for. I guess the best way for you to find out is to deal with your emotional issues and start eating healthier. I would try that before I had another surgery
PekinSal
on 1/24/10 4:26 am - UK
With any revision you have to first think about whether you have tried everything to make your first surgery work.

The sleeve relies mostly on restriction, so the first thing to think about is whether you could improve the effects of that restriction. Are you eating dense, low-fat protein foods rather than ice cream? One keeps you hunger free longer, one will make you put on more weight.

Snacking/eating continually might be a problem too - is there anything you can do to avoid this? Perhaps spend more time on OH, get support from your family or even think of therapy to help you make a new start.

The last resort is revision of some kind. You would need to see a good revision surgeon to discuss your options. One might be making your sleeve smaller. One might be the DS. The DS involves a larger sleeve than sleevies alone normally have, but this is combined with re-routing your intestines so that you absorb very little fat. Compared with what you have now you would absorb 20% of calories from the fat you eat, 50% of the ones from protein and 80 - 100% of the calories from carbohydrates.

This helps a lot - you can eat more and what you eat would mostly count as 'diet food' in normal people. But you still have to follow rules, and slipping off the path of those rules can be catastrophic. You have to eat protein, take vitamins and get blood tests, without fail. If you can't commit to this you shouldnt have the surgery.

Revisions are risky though - you dont go into them unless you have to. Only you can decide if you are ready for one or have other options first.

DS revision from failed lapband

Ms Shell
on 1/25/10 8:02 am, edited 1/25/10 8:02 am - Hawthorne, CA
Hello and great question regarding the VSG to DS.  As many others have posted you have to take a big look at why the VSG wasn't successful and from the sounds of it, you went back to eating things that aren't good for your diet and losing weight. 

Have you done anything on your own like the 5 day pouch test http://www.5daypouchtest.com/ while it is not specific for VSG it helps many to get away from those nasty carb habits. 

What about the cottage cheese test http://www.bsciresourcecenter.com/proddetail.php?prod=A4 it basically helps you "measure" how big your stomach is.  At 2 years out I can eat about 6 oz.

Have you seen a bariatric doctor and maybe gotten an upper GI or whatever it's cause to look at your stomach?

Do you track your food using an online planner like www.sparkpeople.com or the www.thedailyplate.com to actually SEE how many calories, proteins, carbs you are eating?

Revisions of MANY kinds are entirely possible but from I've researched the DS is great for higher fat "diets" but if your thing is CARBS the only thing that can help you long term is therapy ie getting to the root of why you eat the things you do.

Oh yeah and while I'm not expert I post a daily whatcha eatin thread on the VSG forum you are more then welcome to post and ask question.  We are all here to help.  Here's today's thread http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4109471/Whatcha-eatin- VSGers-Monday/

Here is the link to the forum http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/a,messageboard/
Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active