Surgery Update-I'm BAAACCCKKK (Long cross post)

Journey O.
on 1/18/10 6:09 am

Sorry it took so long to post, but it was a LONG week between my friend's surgery, my "BOB" and my cosmetic dentistry.

Long story short -- IT WAS FANTASTIC.  I am incredibly blessed and eternally grateful for the  experience.  There was so much abundance, peace and love throughout the entire trip.

We landed Sunday noon and hit the ground running with my first dentist appointment that evening.  Janean's surgery was Monday morning, a 6 hour dental appt for me Monday night and my BOB was Tuesday morning.

I was released from the hospital on Wednesday and we left Monterrey Saturday afternoon after finishing my dental work on Friday (teeth look incredible by the way!).

As for the revision, Band over Bypass, I cannot say enough about Dr. Zapata, the hospital and his team.  He is incredibly compassionate, caring and beyond competent!  Because I was having a revision, it required an upper GI before the surgery to ensure my pouch could be banded.  He and I were able to talk and he answered all my questions about risks, necessity of the surgery, etc.

Dr. Zapata said something about the revision being necessary even though I currently have a low BMI that really made sense to me and helped everything fall into place.

He believes that Obesity is like Diabetes.  We can control it, but never cure it.  Our bodies are already "geared" to be obese for multiple reasons beyond just our eating habits; heredity, metabolism, environment, etc. etc.  He believes for most of us, the tool (and proper use) of bariatric surgery is ABSOLUTELY required to control our obestiy.

The highest risk was taking the scar tissue down from the bypass.  Once he got in there he found my liver, spleen, omentum, pouch, stomach and small intestines pretty much all adhered to each other.  EWWWWW!!!

The surgeon successfully removed the scar tissue and gave me my 9.75 Lap-Band over my bypass (BOB)!   YEAH!!!!

I want to thank all of you for the tremendous support I received before and during surgery.  All those "Swingin' Critters" sure did the trick.

Glad to be back on the losers bench.

Hugs,
Jackie

Revision: 1/12/2010-Dr. Zapata;  (338 RNY) HW 245/SW 215/CW 193 / GW 170
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." ~Nietzsche~

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/10 12:43 pm - San Diego, CA
YAY!!!!  I am so glad to hear that everything went smoothly.  What your doctor said is wise and makes so much sense.  You must feel lucky to have such a strong support system. :)  I am here for you too throughout your journey.  Welcome (back) to the loser's bench!  (((HUGS)))
Most Active