Revision needed, not sure what to do

jenncore
on 1/17/10 12:36 am - MA
I had lapband surgery two years ago and did well in the beginning. At 6 months out I started having issues with food getting stuck and ended up in the emergency room. I have a small band, 4cc's and am very sensitive to fills. My surgeon and I agreed that I couldn't have a ny more than 1 1/2 cc's in my band. I recently started having major problems so my band was emptied and the surgeon did and endoscopy. This is a different surgeon because my orginal surgeon no longer works with bariatric patients. the new surgeon said my band is too small and needs to come out. He is suggesting a larger band. I am meeting with him on Friday to discuss my options about either having a larger band or revising to another surgery. I'm a little nervous about trying another band since the first one caused me many issues. Any thoughts? All comments/advice are gladly welcome.
Thanks!!!!
Jenn
Kerry J.
on 1/17/10 1:04 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Jenn,

What's your BMI and or how much more do you want to lose? Also do you mind dieting? How do you want to live? The type of WLS you choose should have a lot to do with how you answer those questions.

For me, I had a gastric bypass done back in 1980, I lost all the weight, but had a struggle keeping the weight off; I did mange to do it for 15 years, but it was really hard to do; I was on a diet all the time and I had to exercise pretty much every day to do it. When I got sick and couldn't exercise, I started gaining the weight back and once I lost control, I never could get back again. I ended up gaining all the weight back. I struggled with that until Sept. 2008 when I got a revision to DS. And it's been heaven, no more dumping, no more food sticking, so more feeling deprived all the time; I really love how I live now.

When I got the bypass / RNY I didn't really think that much about how it would effect how I would live and that was a big mistake.  I hated how I had to live with the RNY, I hated the dumping, food sticking and most of all, I hated having to be on a diet forever. The DS has been a godsend, I love, love, love how I can eat like a normal person and not gain weight or feel guilty.

I don't know what the answer to your question is, but I urge you to really look at how you want to live the rest of your life before you get any more surgery.

Kerry

mariepro
on 1/17/10 4:40 am - Vernon, CT
I had the same experience and had the band replaced and continued with problems for another year. I had a bad infection in the port and needed a replacement. I decided with the doctors advice to have RNY and am very happy since I had it done I have lost 40 lbs in three months and have no major food issues, no vomiting. I am happy I got rid of the band.

PekinSal
on 1/17/10 5:35 am - UK
I think I'd ask the surgeon whether your problems were because the band was too small or just because it was the band/you! I don't think the size of the band would have made much difference in my case - it never seemed to be easy to adjust a big one (9ml) properly either.

I went from hardly any restriction to being too restricted and couldnt find anywhere in the middle. I ended up eating junk food and making myself ill with dehydration. I think you live with it because there arent any easy alternatives, but you have the opportunity to have something else if that might be right for you.

Make sure though that your surgeon does all of the surgeries and can advise you in an unbiased way - my original surgeon rolled his eyes when I asked him about DS, and he was so wrong about that. If he only does bands and RNYs and you want to research sleeve or DS then you might need a second opinion.

DS revision from failed lapband

LizMoore
on 1/23/10 1:07 pm - San Diego, CA
I had the band for 3 1/2 yrs and had a revision to the RNY,,and its alot better for me ! The band ..when tightened on me ..made my stomach swell shut ..so they would have to unfill me,,it was fill and unfill for 3 1/2 yrs..so..Im happy with the RNY and Im almost at my 2 yr anniversary and managed to stay under 200 lbs ! yay ! ( Im 5 ft 8 )
Most Active