Questions about revision

Starchild148
on 1/14/10 11:48 am
I had LAP-RNY almost 8 years ago.. I lost about 200lbs. Over past 5 years I have gained back about 90 lbs. I am thinking of a revision. Does anyone have any info about getting lap band after gastric bypass? Is it possible? Safe? successful?? Also, Does anyone have any info on bariatric sclerotherapy to correct stoma size?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Rgreathouse95
on 1/14/10 9:37 pm
I can only answer to the question about sclerotherapy- I had Open RNY in 2002 I got pregnant 9 moths later and 9 moths from then in 12/03 I had my baby. Pregnancy can cause your stoma to stretch. I had gotten up to 187 and had sclero done. Came back down to 171 and it was about 8-10 months later I felt less restriction. I again had my 3rd in 07 so I wen back in Feb of 08 and he repeated it. I came down again but again 8-10 months I felt it lessen in holding my stoma smaller. I am up to 221 now and am considering what tune ups are available. Sclero has been proven to work to get you back on track but is not a perm fix. EGD's are not fun and the idea of doing it a 3rd time for it's limited time of effects I would rater find a more difinitive option. I went to a new pt seminar with my sister yesterday and I am wondering after RNY and weight regain if revising to the gastric sleeve is a option. Revisions were not discussed there. The food slips through the band over the RNY to so for some it works others no change.
Debbie M.
on 1/15/10 1:04 am

I've been on the board for about 1 1/2 years and haven't seen any long term information that the sclerotherapy works well.  I don't know much about the lap band but do see many people on this forum and the DS forum looking for revisions from the band.  I would encourage you to check out www.dsfacts.com, lot of good information there.
I had an RNY in 2002, lost 175lbs then gained 175lbs.  There are many people who are successful with it but I wasn't one of them.  I don't want to make another mistake, I'm going for the best their is in my opinion which is a DS. 

Good luck in your journey, so much to think about and reserach.

Debbie M.

debbiejean58
on 1/15/10 7:23 pm - Antioch, TN
There are a few BOB patients (band over bypass) on the lapband board and I know that one has been very successful. Doctors are starting to do this more now with bypass patients. Hope everything works out well for you.

Most Active