Barretts Syndrome need revision..

lil one to be .
on 1/14/10 1:08 am - Somewhere out there
I'm a little scared.. I have had a lapand for 3 years and did very well until my unfill because I was diagnosed with Barretts Syndrome.  I know have to make the decision if I want to have RNY.  I chose the band because it was less invasive and death rate was alot less.  I am not sure what to do!!! 

Has anyone had this probem or can anyone offer some advice??
Thank you so much!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney.

HW 245 / SW 223 / CW 154 / GW 145

srooker
on 1/14/10 2:13 am - Port Byron , NY
Hi,

If I'm not mistaken Barrett's Esophagus Syndrome is a pre-cancerous condition of where the esophagus enters the stomach, which is very treatable ..... but the thing is they have to monitor it by Endoscopy, so if you have a RNY, I dont think you can have the Endoscopy anymore because of the blind stomach. You may want to consider looking into a VSG or DS as the anatomy of the stomach remains the same only smaller.

Best of luck in your decision,
Scott
shbama
on 1/14/10 10:26 pm - Brandon, Fl
You can have a endoscopy after a RNY.  That is how they were abke to determine that i did have Barretts.  They will need to perform an endoscopy each year to monitor.
Valerieb09
on 1/16/10 2:01 pm - Seacoast, NH
Hi,

Remember we met in Dr. Lautz's office?  I developed bad GERD with the band plus couldn't eat anything "normal".  I had a revision to RNY after having band for two years.  Best thing I ever did!  I opted for the band for the same reasons as you but it was a nightmare for two years.  Anyway I have lost a very significant amount of weight with the RNY, 108 lbs., and now look and eat like a normal person. 
You know Dr. Lautz's track record and it's good!  He has done other band to RNY revisions including Joanie who lost over 100 lbs. with the band then developed mechanical issues and Hondurian Queen who was banded by another doc in Boston.
There are quite a few people that I know who never got to goal with the band or developed other problems like you and me.  The ones I know are unable to get a revision as their insurance won't pay for another WLS surgery.  I am blessed that I was able to have the 2nd WLS surgery.
I eat normal now and you would never know I had WLS.  It's so nice to shop in the misses section in JC Penney.  I never even got near there with the band.
You have to think hard on this decision and figure out what you can live with and be happy with. I wish you luck with whatever you decide!

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

rbb825
on 2/3/10 2:34 pm - Suffern, NY
RNY is the best option for someone with Barretts Esophagus.  The acid levels are drastically reduced after the RNY which will really help the Barretts heal.  Talk to a Gastro doctor but it is really your best option

Most Active