What is "ERNY"??? Success with RNY revisions???

sugarme12
on 1/13/10 2:28 am, edited 2/5/10 4:06 am - Ypsilanti, MI

Hello All,  
I have been struggling with my weight all my life.  Had RNY in 2001 and lost about 130lbs.  Now, 9 years later, I have regained close to 60 lbs.  I am considering a revision.  My surgeron has suggested band over RNY and I am waiting for approval.  Can someone please tell me what ERNY is?  Also, any information regarding revision to RNY would be appreciated.  Thank you!

JROLFSON
on 1/13/10 4:11 am - St. George, UT
Hello Nalo....

ERNY is also called Distal RNY. The procedure involves shortening the common channel which gives you malabsorption and coupled with your RNY pouch restriction as well if your pouch and stoma are still tight. This procedures does have it's issues like any WLS but it can produce satisfactory weight loss...There is much contraversy about the procedure you should do a lot of research and weigh it out carefully before undertaking such a committment....It means a life time of committment to major vitamin intake and proteins...

There is also revision RNY to DS (Duadenal Switch) I'm not the most knowledgable person on that one but there are a lot of people on here who are...Kerry Johnson is a great one to ask about that procedure plus several others...I have had the ERNY Revision back in May...They say this is the cadillac of all WLS's but it can be a dangerous revision but being overweight can be just as dangerous....everything has a tradeoff I guess.

Good Luck to you Nalo

JRolfson
ranma
on 1/14/10 12:19 am - DA, ON
It is very informative, thanks for discussing it here. and you are definitely right that it is a lifetime of committment to major intake of vitamins and necessary substances to remain healthy and stay fit.

StacysMom
on 1/22/10 11:17 am
 Hi Janie,

Didn't I read on here that you're looking into revising your ERNY to a DS??  Same as Joyce?   Or are you looking to redo your ERNY?   What happened?   From reading your posts, I thought you were doing well with it!   Or are you suffering from deficiency problems like a few others?

I read that you are following in Joyce's footsteps to Dr. K.   (Maybe he can make a special deal to do both of you?  LOL  :-)    If the two of you could be there at the same time, you could  keep each other company, and maybe share a hotel room for the 10 day recovery period when the docs usually like patients to stay local?)
JROLFSON
on 1/25/10 4:10 am, edited 1/25/10 4:11 am - St. George, UT
Dear Stacy's Mom:

Oh I'm sure that you did read it somewhere because after all we all know that if I said you didn't, you'd find the post, copy and paste it so you could be victoriously right.

If and when I do decide to receive a revision with Dr. K I wouldn't need to share a hotel room as my Mother lives 15 minutes from the hospital. Also, Dr. K is the first Revision Surgeon I spoke with almost 3 years ago when I had first opted for a revision, I have known of Dr. K and his excellent background for 10 years I am from Bakersfield, California which is close to where he has practiced for a very long time...I have always said DS was my first choice but not an option for me as insurance wouldn't pay. When I found out about the $4500 out of pocket fee Dr. K charged 3 years ago I then began researching the DS with Dr. Husted as any cash towards surgery was not an option at the time.

So I wouldn't say I'm followng anyone into surgery.

As for my progress...It's good...but I see the light at the end of the tunnel which could possibly be bleak, considering the issues several ERNY'ers have experienced a year out...DS could be an option as my insurance has now changed as of January 1. I have had an issue with Vitamin D deficiency and have beefed up my intake...I have labs drawn again in February which will tell me how it's going. I have experienced some problems with Stomach Pain since surgery but it doesn't have anything to do with the surgery it involves the Sphincter of Oddi.

And for some reason your email seemed very sarcastic! Since when have you ever been concerned with Joyce's well being or for how things could work out for her...Everyone on the boards knows you attack her at every given opportunity...

FYI...I answered your questions as a courtesy...but don't make me the butt of your sick little jokes, you got that?

Janie
StacysMom
on 1/25/10 4:45 am
 "Oh I'm sure that you did read it somewhere because after all we all know that if I said you didn't, you'd find the post, copy and paste it so you could be victoriously right."

This is so very TRUE!!!  LOL LOL LOL   

And for some reason your email seemed very sarcastic! Since when have you ever been concerned with Joyce's well being or for how things could work out for her...Everyone on the boards knows you attack her at every given opportunity.

I am not being sarcastic!   And, I have always been concerned about Joyce.   I have watched everyone's progress on here.  

The ONLY problem I have EVER had with Joyce OR anyone else is that they were not being truthful.   Joyce was claiming to merely be a "happy patient" of a surgeon whom she was working for .... or with, depending on semantics.  If Joyce hadn't kept denying that she was working for him, I would have stopped accusing her of it!   She and her group were the ones who became nasty and attacked ME for exposing them using my (apparently well-known) technique of finding their old posts and linking to them.   (At the moment I am exposing someone else who is shilling for a doctor and lying about the ROSE and Stomaphyx procedures, and I'm using his own words and posts to do it.)  

What Joyce and her cohorts were doing is old news.   Joyce even came clean about all of it on the AZ board a short while ago.   (And, it turned out that I was 100% CORRECT about my suspicions!)   I have ABSOLUTELY no beef with her now and feel very badly for her - especially since she is sick and her surgeon has turned against her, after she defended him to her own detriment.   She and I have PM'd and the air is clear.

And, I don't know what "sick little jokes" you are referring to.   Some folks on here have me confused with another OH poster, who has been absent lately.   We are not the same person.

Maybe you can find these old posts of mine where I make these "sick little jokes" and show me?  To find all of my old posts, all you need to do is click on "latest posts" under my name to the left of this post.

And, to be absolutely clear - I WISH YOU WELL!   Now that your insurance has changed, you can get the surgery you wanted in the first place.   I'll bet you wish that you had waited and skipped the ERNY to go straight for the DS.  It's only unfortunate that you have to go through major surgery yet AGAIN to obtain the result you want.   And, all of this surgery must be draining to recover from.    If you go forward with the DS, won't it be your 4th weight loss surgery?  Didn't you have stapling, then RNY, then ERNY?   I may be remembering wrong.   Major surgery is NO joke!  I am NOT being sarcastic - I am being serious.     

Debbie M.
on 1/13/10 8:44 am
Hi Nalo...just as a follow up to the posting above - two good resources to learn more about the DS is www.dsfacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com.  Good luck in your reserach and journey, it can take on a life of its own.
vitalady
on 1/16/10 6:40 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I've had one since 1994, though it is called distal RNY in these parts.

The long and short of it...... if you do not supplement correctly, it can be a death sentence. If you DO and stay on top of it for life, it's a miracle.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

mew6495
on 1/22/10 1:52 pm - MI
 Hello Nalo,

I had ERNY in Oct. 2008.  The Dr. shortened my common channel to 75 CM. I am doing very well with it.  Down to 125 lbs and maintaining now for about 7 months or so.  Just got my labs back and overall they are very good.  "Thank you VitaLady" for ALL of your help and recommendations!

Janie and Michelle (Vitalady) are absolutely correct in their statements above and are very good sources of information.  You would do well to take their advice to heart!  ;-)  Like many WLS with extreme malabsorption, vitamins are a MUST EVERYDAY.  Never take this lightly.

Good luck to you on your new journey!

MEW

Most Active