I'm restarting my journey and need help

bethw
on 1/12/10 12:21 pm - Charlotte, NC
I'm sure that you have all heard it before, but I'm 3 years out from surgery and am trying to figure out what to do now.

I had RNY 3 years ago and weighed about 330 at the time of surgery. I lost down to 208, but then it stopped.  I have to admit I fell off the wagon too.  BUT - I can now eat way too much. Yes, too much of the bad stuff, but also too much of the good stuff, like an 8 oz steak with some salad.  I have managed to regain 60 pounds, and I definitely don't need them.

So I know something is wrong, but I"m not sure how to figure out what to do next.  I have also recently moved to Charlotte, NC which is a good thing except I don't know if going to one of the surgeons here is the "right" next move.

At least one of the surgery practices here does do the ROSE and Stomaphyx procedures which I was considering, but I'm wondering if a revision (to DS maybe?) might be a better way to go.  Other than the RNY, surgeons in the Carolinas tend to avoid the other types of surgeries - much less revisions.  I'm not sure how to research who does alot of revision procedures (I'm counting the ROSE and Stomaphyx in that list) so would be better at it.  I can travel if that would be better - I'm looking for expertise, not to be the first or second patient.

After a year of counselling, I have realized and identified some demons that I never knew I had. The fact is that I may never completely conquer them so I need to factor that into the equation as well.

So - any suggestions? any ideas?  any kicks in the butt?

Thanks alot
Beth
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/10 12:50 am - Bayonne, NJ
Stay away from Rose and Stomaphyx, no one has come forward with good long-term weight loss. People lose on the liquid diet and then regain.

I went from 328 to 175, regained to 220. I also had an issue due to a ring around my stoma that was put in with the rny to prevent overeating. It caused severe reflux and vomiting. I revised last month to the DS. I'm already down to 195.

Good luck with your decision. There are a lot of revision people on here, so you should get some good help.

Adele

Debbie M.
on 1/13/10 1:51 am
Hi Beth,

I had an RNY in 2002, went from 350 to 175, stayed that weight for about 5 minutes and started gaining.  I'm back up to 350.  I began by deciding I needed to do something about it and started looking into different types of revision surgeries,  I didn't want to make a 2nd mistake.  The reports and journals I read said the best long term WLS solution for super morbidly obese like I am was the duodenal switch.  I remember hearing about it back in 2002 but it seemed so extreme at the time and I hadn't seen long term reports on it's success versus the RNY until much later.  So with a long of soul searching and research I've decided to go with a DS, my surgery date is Feb 9th.  If you haven't already you might want to check out www.dsfacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com, both have a lot of good information.  I like both restrictive and malabsorptive components of the DS, I need a tool that's going to allow me to eat as normally as possible and can be a bit forgiving from time to time.  Don't know if you've already done this, but you might want to cross post your posting on the DS board.
Best of luck in your decision and journey ahead.

Debbie M.
sosoclark
on 1/13/10 2:21 am - Sacramento, CA

Debbie,

I am so glad to hear you are having surgery soon. Did you get insurance approval or are you self paying? I am going to the doctor today in hopes to get additional test done for insurance approval. I guess I will have to wait and see.

You are going to do just great.

Sophia

Debbie M.
on 1/13/10 2:48 am
you're so sweet, thanks for your kind words.  Am self paying, couldn't get insurance to cover it.
Good luck at your doctors appt.
Debbie M.
Summerbabies
on 1/30/10 10:43 am
Debbie, Do you mind if I ask how much it is costing you to self pay for your revision? If you'd rather not say, I understand.
Thanks, Linda
Debbie M.
on 1/30/10 10:54 am
Hi Linda,
Send me a PM and I'll respond with the info I've come across.
Thanks,
Debbie
ricki
on 1/30/10 9:00 pm
my best suggestion for you would be to look into the DS.  I had my revision from RNY to DS in 06 and never looked back.  I regained all my weight, plus 10 lbs! when my RNY failed.

go to www.dsfacts.com and to the ds forum here.  I can tell you my experience and life is so much better!
Most Active