Band Complications

SWJ_81
on 1/12/10 10:40 am - AR
Hello everyone!  I am new to the band board and have a question.  I had pretty much decided that RNY was going to be the route for me, but now have started leaning toward the band.  How many of you ahve had complications with your band that involved the doctor having to "go back in" for any reason?  I'm just wondering if the percentage is fairly high or do mmost people have no trouble.  Thanks!

emjayel56
on 1/12/10 11:28 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
I have had a whole slew of complications from lapband over an 8 year period.  I eventually took out the band and decided to put in another band only to have the same problems.  I then 4 months ago revised to an RNY and I am extremely overjoyed with it. Every band complication has disappeared and I lost more weight in the 4 months with the bypass than in 9 years with the bands.  Good luck with your decision; go to the lapband board... there are many happy bandsters but do you research and decide which surgery is best for you.  maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

angibug
on 1/12/10 1:45 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Yes, I had the band about 31/2 years ago...miserable experiance for me. The most that I lost was about 30lbs. I just revised to RNY last month. I was NEVER satisfied with the band, always hungry or having food get stuck. Just do your homework. For some, the band is a very good tool for them. Don't expect your weight loss to fast with the band. Only 1-2 lbs a week. I always tell people that if they want to loose slowly try weigh****chers. It's cheaper and you don't have to go through a major surgery.

USAF Wife
on 1/12/10 1:50 pm
Had the band for 8 short months, complications/pain started within the first 3 months, and just proceeded to get worse. I revised to VSG (the sleeve) 8 months in, and it was the best decision to get that thing out of my body.

I knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me therefore it was one of the many reasons I chose VSG over RNY or DS as a revision surgery.

Just do your own independent research of all the surgeries out there, and consider all the complications, chance for regain, and what will fit your lifestyle.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Ms Shell
on 1/13/10 1:03 am - Hawthorne, CA

Please don't limit yourself as there is also the Sleeve or Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.  Many LapBanders who have success with their bands and then complications become sleevers.  Visit the vsg forum anytime!

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Mellissa L.
on 1/14/10 3:58 am - Southgate, MI
I'm 2 years out and for the past year have been having reflux.  I just found out that my band has slipped.  Because of the slip I have gone from heart burn to acid reflux that is so severe that I can no longer tolerate solid foods.  Any time I try to eat I'm in horrible pain.  We are in the process of trying to get approval to get this band out and revise to the RnY. 

When the band is good, its good... but they have been seeing a lot more slips lately. 

I personally, would not recommend it. 

H/C/G:  298/170.4/160 (H=5'5)  @ Dr's goal 5/23/2012.  Revison surgery 5/26/2011 convert from band to bypass due to slipped band. 

ARIEL07
on 1/14/10 6:03 am
Hi,

Ive had the lapband for 2 1/2 years and have lost 50lbs. ive not lost any weight in months and most foods I cannot eat well without it coming back up.

I am going through the process of getting a revision to rny. My dr. says for someone with a high BMI such as myself, the rny would have been a better choice.

Im scheduled to see my srugeon next week. I am hopeful after this appt we can schedule my surgery.

Please do your research before making any decision. I was too excited about the band to read about all the slips, fills, and complications that it can bring. If Ihad known what I know now, lapband would not have been my choice.

Karla
melly37
on 1/17/10 5:20 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I lost a little over 100 lbs with my band...had almost reached my goal.  I started having problems and have put some weight back on, and have found out I have a slip.  I am going to have to have surgery to fix it....thinking about asking for a revision to RNY if my insurance company will cover it.

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

jass28
on 1/21/10 5:08 am - A Town, NJ
I had the band for 1.5 years and it was the most miserable time of my life.  I threw up more times than i can count.  I revised to the DS and I never looked back.  Look into the DS.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

chelle614
on 2/3/10 8:48 am - Chester, NY
I first got the band in 2005. Loved it, lost 120lbs within 14 months. 2 years ago it slipped... had to have it replaced. Within the past year I developed Alcalasia (problems with muscles passing food through the esophugus. My eshopgus is swollen to 4x the normal size. I have had my band deflated and refilled more times than I can count to try and correct the problem. All that has accomplished is my weight going up and down 30lbs constantly. I just requested a revision to RNY and hopefully everything works out.
Most Active