Foods that Stick

SWJ_81
on 1/12/10 10:43 am - AR
Another question- I keep reading posts that mention foods sticking.  What do people with the band do when foods stick?  Is that something you can handle on your own or do you have to visit your doctor?  That is going to be a BIG factor in which surgery that I choose.  I live two (highway & interstate) hours from my doctor and emergency runs would not be easy.  Thanks for any help!

angibug
on 1/12/10 1:40 pm - Las Vegas, NV

When people say that food gets stuck one of two things happen...1. you either throw it back up (not fun and painful) or 2. the food is stuck there and you are absolutly miserable. This can last for up to an hour.

USAF Wife
on 1/12/10 1:53 pm, edited 1/12/10 1:53 pm
Foods that got stuck for me with the band varied by the day of the week.

Some days anything and everything went down, other days I could literally feel water creeping back up my esophagus.

Bread was definitely a no-no. I had issues with salad for a long time, and dry meat was definitely out. Every type of meat had to be eaten with some sort of condiment usually ketchup or A1 steak sauce.

With the sleeve, now I have no issues of food getting stuck, and I eat anything and everything I want, just in moderation.

When food did get stuck with the band, it caused pretty intense pain right around the sternum, massive amounts of spit fill up your mouth, then the slimy burps, and then the wretching attempting to get it out. Not pleasant at all.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/10 12:53 am - Bayonne, NJ
I didn't have a lap band, but I did have a prolene mesh ring around my stoma, so I went through the same thing. It hurt like hell!

Food gets stuck, the body starts to produce a lot of mucus to dislodge it, and believe me, it's not fun.  Foods that stuck on me? Chicken, steak, mashed potatoes, and anything dense.

I am soooo glad I no longer have that ring. It was the main reason for my revision.
Most Active